Please help! Muscovy duckling cant balance or lift her head

goldgardener

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2023
Please help! I got home late from work and found this Muscovy duckling stuck alone outside the coop. (My ducks put themselves to bed using a ramp, for some reason ramp was down and she couldn't make the jump up into the coop this time.) I think she was stuck outside for at least an hour, maybe 2 max. I've got her warmed up but Shes having trouble balancing and isn't lifting her head hardly at all. I checked her over and there's no obvious injuries. I've tried to give her food and water and Shes nibbled a bit, but I think she can't lift her head enough to swallow. I've got a video of the balance issues, not sure how to post it on here. What can I do?

395439838_1404200233784523_4123012724112379154_n.jpg

395708563_1030711811382638_7353714710061794865_n.jpg

Could just be exhausted from trying to get in the coop. I might put it back and let it rest for the night and see in the morning how it's doing. It has very thick legs which makes me think it's a male. They are a bit less agile than the females, and like to sit down more and rest. So perhaps it's just very fatigued.

Update: She has eaten some food and water with a little bit of B complex vitamin powder, just had to hold the bowl right up to her. she will move her head a little now but isnt extending her neck very much. I will keep her with me tonight and keep an eye on her.

How is you Scovy duckling doing this morning?
Better I think, I had to leave quickly this morning for work so couldn't fully evaluate her but my fiance is caring for her today. He said shes still wobbly but more mobile, and was able to eat and drink alone. I'll try to get more pictures. I took her out last night before bed and she tried to run around but was tumbling and rolling head over heels. I'm gonna keep adding b vitamins to the water.

Update again: I was able to put her outside for a few hours yesterday while it was warmer, she definitely wants to move and be active but her coordination is still poor and she cant quite keep up with everyone yet. She seemed happier to be out with her friends though. I put her in the the tub and she keep paddling backwards. I'll definitely keep her in at night and in cold conditions until she is more recovered. Still giving her b vitamins, I'm thinking it might be niacin deficiency. She can move her neck properly now, just hard for her to run around/balance.

@goldgardener how is she doing today?
Her walking and standing has gotten a lot better, she is mainly having issues with eating and drinking- she keeps flipping her head around and falling over. :( I'm still doing vitamins and water therapy. I feel like her eating was better a couple days ago so a little worried but she seems to be feeling fine. I let her out with the others when its warm enough and there's someone home to check on her frequently.

Back
Top Bottom