HELP! Duckling excessive head shakes with food/water discharge even when not eating/drinking.

HollyBluefeather

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2023
As the title states, I have a 2 day old khaki campbell ducking that hatched a day early. In total I have 5 ducklings. This particular KC has seemed behind the others and is the only duckling that was hatched with still some yolksac attached. Today I noticed this KC doesnt want to move around as much as the others and also seems to be excessively shaking its head with food/water being discharged. Do you think it's something stuck in its crop? Do you think it'll make it? Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you!!

Did you help this duckling hatch. If so it takes them more time to recover. It’s eating on its own? What feed and what’s the setup brooder/ bedding? anything it could of eaten that isn’t food?
I did not assist in hatching. It does eat on its own but not so much today. The brooder is a large tub with puppy pads and a heat lamp with 2 thermometers reading around 99°f. They have only had water, and a duckling starter food with brewers yeast supplement added. 4 other ducklings are doing great and very active with excellent appetites. This one is not active and seems to only want to drink water nonstop to the point of puking it up

I did not assist in hatching. It does eat on its own but not so much today. The brooder is a large tub with puppy pads and a heat lamp with 2 thermometers reading around 99°f. They have only had water, and a duckling starter food with brewers yeast supplement added. 4 other ducklings are doing great and very active with excellent appetites. This one is not active and seems to only want to drink water nonstop to the point of puking it up
There is also a cooler side in the brooder away from the heat source

99 is fine for chicks but not for ducklings usually around 85 is best as long as there isn't any wind blowing over them. Then 5* lower each week until they are sitting at the same temp as the room they are in.
There is always a possibility it has failure to thrive have you given it any poultry vitamins in the water it's drinking? Poultry cell is a very good one for a duckling that is struggling after hatch.

99 is fine for chicks but not for ducklings usually around 85 is best as long as there isn't any wind blowing over them. Then 5* lower each week until they are sitting at the same temp as the room they are in.
There is always a possibility it has failure to thrive have you given it any poultry vitamins in the water it's drinking? Poultry cell is a very good one for a duckling that is struggling after hatch.
I lowered the heat for them, but unfortunately the little khaki campbell didn't make it. It starting seizing and swiftly passed. The other 4 ducklings are doing amazing and seem to be right on track. I am heartbroken I couldn't figure out a solution for this baby. Thank you for your replies and helpful information. I have been a long time lurker on here and have seen your replies many times and truly appreciate your efforts to help me. 🙏

20230809_091651.jpg

Back
Top Bottom