Duck keeps laying down

Check her vent if it’s pulsating she may be egg bound. When my Runner was trying to lay a soft shell egg she laid around away from everyone which is not normal so by early afternoon I decided to pick her up and look her over before I got to her she laid a big soft shell. Soon after she was up and running. Hopefully by this morning you see an egg and her feeling better.

I know this is an older thread, but I'm experiencing something similar with 1 of my girls (Violet). She's 22 weeks old and no one has laid an egg yet. Violet has started laying down while everyone else is out and about playing. Breathing seems heavy, and her butt pulses up and down a bit as she breathes. No feed or water in the house and we use shavings with a thin layer of straw on top for bedding. House stays very dry. I'm going to head out to see if I can feel an egg and check out her vent to see if there is anything abnormal. Trying to find a balance of not overreacting and rushing off to the vet, but wanting to make sure she's okay.

Here's a video of Violet - any thoughts @Miss Lydia based on your experiences? Thanks!

She looks to be in discomfort. Can you get her in a tub of warm water and let her float around some and offer her some liquid calcium or capsules? Maybe over some thawed peas? As she is floating check her tummy down around her vent gently feel for an egg. Also look for discharge from her vent. You can even lube up your finger and gently feel around inside for an egg.

She looks to be in discomfort. Can you get her in a tub of warm water and let her float around some and offer her some liquid calcium or capsules? Maybe over some thawed peas? As she is floating check her tummy down around her vent gently feel for an egg. Also look for discharge from her vent. You can even lube up your finger and gently feel around inside for an egg.
These are great suggestions, thank you @Miss Lydia! I'll try the warm water first. Mine aren't crazy about being picked up even though we handled them a lot when they were young and they loved it. I don't want to stress her out anymore than necessary, but definitely want to make her feel better! I'll keep you posted, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom