Duck killed inside pen at night- what killed her?

How is everyone this morning? If you have a game camera maybe set it up where you can see what all is coming around.
Everyone made it tonight on the new pen, which i think, knock on wood, has no openings not covered by good hardware cloth except the upper roof which is a few layers of heavy netting. Plus put concentric circles of peppermint oil and cayenne pepper.
Nothing in my trap though
Yes, a game camera is coming soon. Need to find a decent one that has cell reception so i can get live ish video

Last edited:
I’m thinking opossum or raccoon
So sorry for your loss :hugs
I am now as well
I was putting a piece sheet metal on top of the pen just for a temporary rain cover until i finish the house in the new pen. It's under a tree so doesn't need much
While doing this, i have found a latrine on top of one of the pens.
Maybe ten or so piles of feces, which vary greatly on look/ color/ etc. I mean the ones i found this morning were very fresh and look like a little dog.
Others look like racoon. And it is all in the same place... behavior sounds like racoon
We do have a local fox, but have never seen it near the ducks or their pen and it doesn't really look like fox
If anyone can help, i will post a few pics.
Sorry if gross
20231109_111947.jpg
20231109_111944.jpg
20231109_111941.jpg
20231109_111937.jpg
20231109_111937.jpg
And here is a pile of the different ones 20231109_120204.jpg

I am going to buy some predator scent and set my trap by the house.
Googling now for other deterrents until i have a better idea what is doing this and how to handle it
Is my dog somehow getting up there?
Thanks for any and all help

Attachments

• 20231109_111933.jpg
    20231109_111933.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I am now as well
I was putting a piece sheet metal on top of the pen just for a temporary rain cover until i finish the house in the new pen. It's under a tree so doesn't need much
While doing this, i have found a latrine on top of one of the pens.
Maybe ten or so piles of feces, which vary greatly on look/ color/ etc. I mean the ones i found this morning were very fresh and look like a little dog.
Others look like racoon. And it is all in the same place... behavior sounds like racoon
We do have a local fox, but have never seen it near the ducks or their pen and it doesn't really look like fox
If anyone can help, i will post a few pics.
Sorry if gross
View attachment 3679801
View attachment 3679806
View attachment 3679808
View attachment 3679813
View attachment 3679813
And here is a pile of the different onesView attachment 3679800

I am going to buy some predator scent and set my trap by the house.
Googling now for other deterrents until i have a better idea what is doing this and how to handle it
Is my dog somehow getting up there?
Thanks for any and all help
That all looks like raccoon to me. The variety for color is the different food they are eating. Not being gross but the seeds and stuff says raccoon. Try getting a live trap where all the poop is and see if you can catch it and take it about 20 minutes away from your house. It will get rid of the problem that you and your chickens are facing and still not killing or causing any harm to the animal.

That all looks like raccoon to me. The variety for color is the different food they are eating. Not being gross but the seeds and stuff says raccoon. Try getting a live trap where all the poop is and see if you can catch it and take it about 20 minutes away from your house. It will get rid of the problem that you and your chickens are facing and still not killing or causing any harm to the animal.
And i have definitely seen a coon or two nearby, just been a while. And this is the first time I've seen the feces where it looks like a dog, but the other ones seem to be a good indicator. And it's all in the same place
I will get out the bigger havahart and see if i can trap it

Back
Top Bottom