Duck Language Translation

TinasUrbanGarden

Songster
5 Years
Aug 24, 2017
I have 5 ducks that i bought at a local feed store. Four Males and One Female. they are about 6 months old now and I LOVE them. I am trying to learn their language and there no books that help with this.

example:

-when they are in the water sometimes one male will tuck their bill down/bob and make this almost burping sound. It's a quick simultaneous act (tuck/bob/grunt)

-I will be petting the female, while she appears calm and out of the blue she will quickly lunge her bill at me and glide it across my arm

A problem I am having with one of the males is he keeps trying to rape the female outside of the water repeatedly. it has caused a problem because the only way I think I can resolve it is to separate her but they are very attached to each other. The females neck is a mess from him grabbing her but she keeps putting herself in his path. please advice..

:welcome The sexual aggression is only going to get worse as the drakes mature. With 4 drakes and one hen, it is very likely that she will be drowned if/when they try to gang breed her. If it happens on land, she may be seriously injured. Separate or relocate to assure her safety.

The tuck, burp and grunt is what drakes do . My Runner drake does this after he has bred one of his females.

I think for the safety of your female you need to get more females and rehome all but one drake. The ratio should be 1 drake to 3 or more ducks.

The female is showing you she is wanting some loving. If you rubbed her back she'd probably squat down for you.

thank you all for the feedback. The problem is I love each and every one so there is no parting with any of them. I did come up with a new living arrangement which is working perfectly. The female with her Drake (she picked). The other 3 in a separate duck cave!

Your solution is an excellent one! The real problem is that ANY sexual activity from the drakes is exhibited as rape, pure and simple. To me, it is disgusting and vile (and I am a guy!), but that is nature, and it is not for me to change it. Your cave solution makes the most sense by far. Way to go!

Back
Top Bottom