Duck laying on peafowl eggs

I've never had fertile eggs, either. But I've read about non fertile eggs going bad and bacteria spreading to the developing eggs. I don't know if that really happens or how likely it is, but it seems safer to use dummy eggs.
Oh okay that makes sense, I'll be sure to switch them to dummy eggs before they go bad to be safe

Just a little update, again I've never dealt with hatching eggs before so I am not sure, but it does look like there is something growing in there.

Attachments

• 20210802_144909.jpg
    20210802_144909.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 14
Hm I'm not sure about veining I'll have to check next time I candle them. Also don't know how far along they could be, but I think maybe around 2 weeks
When I candled, I looked online for pics to compare. I'm sure there has to be some here on BYC. Or post the pic in the peafowl forum.

How are things progressing.
The second pic you posted does look like something is growing. Now the hard part - leave them alone. Do you know expected hatch date?
I have about a 90% success rate having my Muscovy ducks sit on peacock eggs. Last time they consistently rolled one out, and it was not fertile. Don't know how they know but trust them if they are rejecting an egg.
Have you marked the peacock eggs? I do this because the ducks keep adding more eggs and I only want to leave peacock eggs.
I previously posted what I do once the eggs pip. You can hear the chick inside the day before. Last year the ducks killed the first 2 that hatched. This year I was surprised to find a lovely peachick under the ducks one morning. I still took it to brooder.
Post an update please.

How are things progressing.
The second pic you posted does look like something is growing. Now the hard part - leave them alone. Do you know expected hatch date?
I have about a 90% success rate having my Muscovy ducks sit on peacock eggs. Last time they consistently rolled one out, and it was not fertile. Don't know how they know but trust them if they are rejecting an egg.
Have you marked the peacock eggs? I do this because the ducks keep adding more eggs and I only want to leave peacock eggs.
I previously posted what I do once the eggs pip. You can hear the chick inside the day before. Last year the ducks killed the first 2 that hatched. This year I was surprised to find a lovely peachick under the ducks one morning. I still took it to brooder.
Post an update please.
I do not know the expected hatch date, but I am always watching them via coop cam, so Im hoping I'll be able to tell when they are hatching or about to. I have not marked them, but I have just replaced all of the duck eggs with fake wooden dummy eggs so the only real eggs she is on are the peafowl ones. She is really doing good and sitting on them for about 98% of the day.

Back
Top Bottom