1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck leash/ Creek

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quailbuddy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Hi I have a calm creek in my neighborhood and i was wondering if the is a such thing as a duck leash or harness that i my duck can wear because i want it to be able to swim and catch the minnows in the natural creek . . . . does anyone do this would it be bad for my duck ( im not worried about the creek . . .)

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It would be very difficult to design any kind of harness that would not restrict the ducks ability to really enjoy a good splash and avoid being tangled in. If your duck was diving and became entangled it could injure the duck. Maybe buying some small live fish and letting them loose in a small pool or even a water dish for your duck would be less of a risk.

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Well if you only have one duck it would be pretty easy to watch it if ikt got into troube what breed is it?Does it come when called?

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I had thought of this idea but not for them to swim. I just wanted to walk them around a little. I wonder if one could be fashioned.

5. duckling 1234

duckling 1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Cecil County. MD
    Is the creek on your property? If it is, you could just fence your section off at your property limit.

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    We create a special leash intended for ducks through my website (In my signature). It's stretchy so they don't choke themselves or wiggle out of a harness. The leash has to be used with either a diaper harness or a walking harness (Which we make as well, it looks a kinda like a harness for a small dog, but i do not have pictures up of it yet. I can find one for you tomorrow and post it for you.) If you are interested you can pm me if you'd like!

7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i think a duck wearing a harness WHILE swimming is a horrible dangerous idea. after watching mine freak out when i put a harness on her, i wouldn't do it. but that's just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by