Duck leg injury

backyard ducks

Hatching
Jan 1, 2017
I have an 8 year old cherry valley drake, he has hurt one of his legs, possibly slipped in the mud. He can't walk on his bad leg and gets around hobbling and using his wings. There is no sign of any obvious injury, or infection. He's eating and drinking and can swim in the pond when I put him in there. He seems to struggle to put his leg underneath him to support him and often drags it behind him until he can tuck it under. When it's under he can stand but not walk far. I have trimmed his nails, put cardboard under his foot( as sometimes his toes curl up) and vetrap to hold it on. I have given him poultry nutri drops and extra niacin. His leg is warm so there is blood to it. Would be grateful for any advice or suggestions. He's happy but hate watching him struggle. Thanks

When did this happen? It could be a bad sprain. Epsom salt compresses followed with a tiny bit of T-Relief ointment may really help, but sprains take a long time to completely heal. You may want to confine him to a clean, safe small area with fresh water and food to rest up for a day or three.

@backyard ducks

Thank you for your advice. It happened almost 2 weeks ago, I had one last year that behaved the same, I took him to the vets for weeks, cost me a small fortune, they didn't suggest a sprain, tried him on drugs, i confined him, which he didn't like, bathed him etc in the end they said they thought he had a tumour and put him to sleep! So I have been a bit reluctant to go down that route again unless I have to. I haven't confined "luke" as his mate gets really distressed when I take him to change his dressing. He's naturally restricting his own movements. We have taped his feet up because he seemed to keep tripping over them and he seems to have trouble lifting the webbed bit up well. Today he seems to have got a round more easily. I wonder if he could have damaged his ligaments. How do you do an Epsom salt compress? Do I soak a bandage in it and if so how long is good to leave on? Also what is t ointment? I have had ducks for 10 years but have little experience of illness or injury. Thanks again for your advice

I soak a clean rag in Epsom salt solution - hold the duck as long as we both can stand it - try for 5 to 10 minutes at a time.

@Miss Lydia has a shallow flat-bottomed bucket - she puts the E.s. solution in that and stands her ducks in it, keeping them from drinking the solution since it is a laxative.

T-Relief is an ointment I can get at the drugstore (call ahead). It has arnica and comfrey in it, maybe St. John's wort, too. works well for me and for them.

If you use herbs regularly you could make an ointment, or make a comfrey tea (with arnican and SJW if you have it), cool the tea and use that as a compress as well.

Leg injuries can happen, and they can take weeks to really resolve. Vier pulled a muscle or sprained something and it took maybe 3 weeks to really heal up.

Romy has a little inflammation, I think, but we manage that with turmeric in their food. It stains, but it is a safe anti-inflammatory for ducks, according to a vet I spoke with.

I normal take turmeric in honey drink for myself and have used it on the animals before so I will add some to their food. I have been adding brewers yeast. I have a bath that I could put him into give him a Epsom salt bath. He's a very strong bird still. I have some arnica massage balm so I will try that as well. Thank you for sharing your experiences

Back
Top Bottom