Thefallenfeather

Chirping
Oct 2, 2022
I've been looking around on these chicken, Duck help sights for a but trying to find a way to deal with the bumble foot in 1 now 2 of my ducks.

My Welsh harliquin male and female are both limping the male just started the other day but the female has been limping for a while now (like 4 months) I've been doing the Epson salt and viniger with water foot bath but it doesn't help much. so I've been thinking of trying savlon the antiseptic cream on them to try and kill the infection but I'm not sure if it's safe for ducks.
Can anyone help with this please?

Can you take pictures of their feet so I can see what exactly is going on?

When I treat my ducks for bumblefoot, I like to use duck booties, but you can also wrap with vet wrap and gauze. I find the feet heal faster with booties. I put triple antibiotic ointment or bacatracin on the sore. And put the bootie on or wrap the foot. You will need to keep it clean, so they can't have access to a pool. It is also good if they have a bit of rest during this time to heal. I usually let them take a bath when I go to change bandages. You can do the Epsom salt bath too, but I haven't found it helps as much.

The main thing I do is treat with Baytril (enrofloxicin). This will kill any infection in the foot. If you choose to do this, I can give you the dosage. You can get it here.

https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bird-antibiotic-medications/products/enrofloxacin-10

I gave her a bath earlier today for about 30 mins so she could eat and drink and let her feet soak after that I swaddled her in a towel to dry for a while and then took her out side to be with everyone.
I had put some hay down for her to sit on and she's been there for most of the day.

Attachments

• 20221003_144051.jpg
    20221003_144051.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221003_144025.jpg
    20221003_144025.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 6
I gave her a bath earlier today for about 30 mins so she could eat and drink and let her feet soak after that I swaddled her in a towel to dry for a while and then took her out side to be with everyone.
I had put some hay down for her to sit on and she's been there for most of the day.
The one foot doesn't look too bad, which is good. The other one I would definitely put triple antibiotic ointment on it and wrap the foot. That will help soften up the scab. It will take few days of wrapping before it will soften up. If the scab is able to come off, you can try and remove the kernel inside. I haven't been successful on getting them out, but I kill the infection with baytril. And I would consider the antibiotic to kill any infection in the foot. Even if you get the kernel out, you may still have extra tissue on that foot permenently. If you do get the kernel out, fill the wound with triple antibiotic ointment and keep the foot wrapped and clean.

The one foot doesn't look too bad, which is good. The other one I would definitely put triple antibiotic ointment on it and wrap the foot. That will help soften up the scab. It will take few days of wrapping before it will soften up. If the scab is able to come off, you can try and remove the kernel inside. I haven't been successful on getting them out, but I kill the infection with baytril. And I would consider the antibiotic to kill any infection in the foot. Even if you get the kernel out, you may still have extra tissue on that foot permenently. If you do get the kernel out, fill the wound with triple antibiotic ointment and keep the foot wrapped and clean.

so I should consider buying some duck boots for her so her foot can heal. and some antibiotics to kill the infection ?

so I should consider buying some duck boots for her so her foot can heal. and some antibiotics to kill the infection ?
I would personally. You can use vet wrap, but I have found the foot actually heals faster with the booties. My Pekin had a long drawn out bumblefoot issue. We killed the infection but it took a while for her foot to heal. We wrapped it with vet wrap, but over time it irritated her upper foot. So we bought the booties, which in reality is actually cheaper than constantly going through tons of vet wrap.

It definitely helps if they are separated. Usually someone else helps them get the booties off. I know some people have used tape to stop them. I have only found they come off occasionally.
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but this info may help OP, too. Do you have a link for the booties you have?

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but this info may help OP, too. Do you have a link for the booties you have?

I got them from Krazy k farms. We got ours fairly quickly.

https://crazy-k-farm.myshopify.com/collections/poultry/products/birdy-bootie-hand-made-in-the-usa

Party fowl makes them too. But they have a ridiculous wait to get them. It took me a year to get my booties from them. I seriously thought my order was cancelled. it is such a shame how long the wait is, because they were actually better quality booties and are a better fit.

Back
Top Bottom