Duck limping, not sure why.

ChickenNewbie32

In the Brooder
May 28, 2016
(I have posted this in the injury sub-forum but i thought it would make more sense if i posted it here) My duck has been limping for quite a while now, i have gotten it from my uncle since i had chickens i could take care of it, i asked him why it's limping and he didn't know. His neighbors gave it to him so it was limping before. Recently i have noticed that she is in alot of pain so i decided to ask the BYC forums because you guys have helped me with all my chicken problems.

Here are some pics:

looks like a little bumble on each foot

they look little so the meds the vet gave probably helped a lot, epsom salt soaks are a great way to help relieve some of the pain and draw out infection
it also looks looks like there may have been other ones that are gone now

are you giving any form of niacin with their food?

edited to add:

BE WARNED, epsom salt is a laxative, and we all know that ducks poop enough as it is
sickbyc.gif
so try not to let her drink it

Last edited:
From the pictures, it looks like some kind of genetic defect or an injury it probably got when it was a duckling. The duck probably grew to adulthood with that injury, so the duck's body as adapted to it. However, if it's causing pain now it probably means the duck is too heavy for it to keep walking like that.

Are the hips aligned? Or is it just the knob on the feet?

From the pictures, it looks like some kind of genetic defect or an injury it probably got when it was a duckling. The duck probably grew to adulthood with that injury, so the duck's body as adapted to it. However, if it's causing pain now it probably means the duck is too heavy for it to keep walking like that.

Are the hips aligned? Or is it just the knob on the feet?
Are you sure this isn't a break? sure is swollen too. Poor thing I'd def say she is in pain.
sad.png
Possibly an infection in the joint or bone

Lets see if we can @casportpony to have a look she has treated just about everything. Hard to tell if hips are aligned unless you can get a pic from behind of her legs while she is standing. Full view

Now I do not know if this is correct or not?.....I asked in my thread also.....I have no issues at this time though....

Silica grit if your soil is lacking in it?.....swollen joints and leg stiffness can be a lack in the silica?.....Only learned this about Birds this week...?.........Hope someone knows about this?...I know my Horses get the Silica salt blocks......

Cheers!

My Bean is struggling with this, too. The vet thought it was neurological at first, but it got worse, so he took an x-ray and discovered a large infection in her joint. She may have contracted it through her bumblefoot when she was being boarded at the ranch. I wish I never had to send my babies there for all those months....

My Bean is struggling with this, too. The vet thought it was neurological at first, but it got worse, so he took an x-ray and discovered a large infection in her joint. She may have contracted it through her bumblefoot when she was being boarded at the ranch. I wish I never had to send my babies there for all those months....
hugs.gif

She had a scar today on her beak it was small but i'm not sure if it's from the rooster pecking at her or if she hurt herself from putting her beak in the fence.

Here are some pics from behind:

She had a scar today on her beak it was small but i'm not sure if it's from the rooster pecking at her or if she hurt herself from putting her beak in the fence.

It looks like her legs are spread apart too far. But I am not that familiar with Pekins that maybe normal with them, and her one left foot looks to be pointing more inside. Which can mean she didn't get adequate nician as a ducking. @CyndiD has a Pekin that has leg problems lets see if she will have a look. If at all possible I'd have a vet look at her. She may need an oral antibiotic

I'd also put a different fencing up over top of the chicken wire so she doesn't poke her head in far enough the roo could get her in the eye's Just up about 2' from the ground.

I bought a muscovy duckling a year or so back, and I didn't realize that something was wrong until it was very obvious, about a week after I got her. She looked very similar to your duck's problem, and when I investigated I found that the hips were misaligned, causing her left leg to be farther forward than her right one, causing a dramatic limp. I believe what happened was that her leg got dislocated and then healed on its own. If you can, I would recommend checking for that. I doubt that its an infection, since you've indicated that this duck probably has had this for awhile.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom