Duck lost his voice/ is raspy

Cwood850

Hatching
Apr 2, 2022
Okay, so let me give you some background first. We have a 5 year old wood duck who we believe may have contracted aspergillosis (we aren’t sure how, his pin is spotless, we use sand for flooring and food is changed twice a day.) after we found him super raspy one day. We have not definitively diagnosed because I just feel as if putting him under anesthesia to get a sample in his lungs for testing is just too risky. We’ve had two situations where he has been raspy so we do a two week round of anti-fungals and he gets better.

This time around, we started the anti-fungal a day ago. His overall appearance is much better, much more energy, breathing is unlabored. This morning I walked in, and he sounds like he lost his voice at a boy band concert. I can tell he has eaten quite a bit last night, so he is still eating, he’s full of spunk and sassy-ness. But I’m wondering if he just eats so much he just overpacks his gizzard?

Long story short, has anyone had this issue? I’ll try some ACV, I’ve read about that on here. I’ve seen a lot of post about colloid (not sure the spelling I can’t remember) silver? This guy is a whopping pound though so I get nervous about dosage. He is also not a typical breed so I’m not sure? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!!!!

Are you keeping feed down for him round the clock? usually if they have feed available they don't gorge.
Have you had him to the vet? did you get the anti-fungal from there?
From all I have read aspergillosis is really hard to treat. But def worth treating.

Back
Top Bottom