Duck lost leg to snapping turtle

momem3

Hatching
May 24, 2021
We are fairly new to the fowl world. We inherited some chickens and ducks when we bought our property. Hubby found a duck with a missing leg tonight. We believe she might have gotten bit by a snapping turtle. Any recommendations would be appreciated for saving her. She is struggling with walking (of course) but we would like to try to save her. Son is cleaning her off now. TIA!

Considering the circumstances, I would also agree it may be most kind to euthanize the bird in a humane manner. Losing a leg would obviously be very painful for the bird without proper anesthetics; long term, most of these birds develop secondary issues such as bumblefoot due to most of the body pressure being applied to one foot.

Thank you for responding. I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping for a different outcome for my son...but I know he doesn't want her in pain or to be easy prey, either. Now off to figure out how to make a snapping turtle trap...

Thank you for responding. I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping for a different outcome for my son...but I know he doesn't want her in pain or to be easy prey, either. Now off to figure out how to make a snapping turtle trap...
I have had good luck using snapping turtle cage traps (which you can find on Amazon), you simply put some meat and hook it to the back of the cage, and they will crawl into the cage and activate the lever plate.
If you're looking for a cheap alternative, a rope with a large baited hook on the end will work. You can use a plastic bottle attached to the rope to act as a bobber so you know when the line is taken.

Honestly, I think her life will be extremely difficult and that's not fair. If she just lost her foot then I think she would be fine. If it's the entire leg then I think it would be more humane to euthanize. She's going to have a very difficult time getting around, getting to food and water, protecting herself.
Not true. I've seen ducks, even one at my local pond, get around fine with one leg.

I have had good luck using snapping turtle cage traps (which you can find on Amazon), you simply put some meat and hook it to the back of the cage, and they will crawl into the cage and activate the lever plate.
If you're looking for a cheap alternative, a rope with a large baited hook on the end will work. You can use a plastic bottle attached to the rope to act as a bobber so you know when the line is taken.
Thank you, Isaac. Maybe we will try the cheap alternative until the cages arrive. It seems all the ducks are skittish after the incident last night. None of us saw what happened but hubby found the wounded duck and said none of the ducks would go near the pond.

Back
Top Bottom