duck maintenance. Whats your routine!?

For my ducks, I do not provide food or water once they are put to bed. Unless, I have to lock them in their duck house and then food and water will be provided. I've only had to do that when the winter temps dipped so low it was abnormally cold (-70 degrees).

I clean poos out of the duck house once per day and pick up (using a garden shovel) any poos in the run so that it can be as clean and tidy as possible. 😁

Fresh "drinking" water provided twice a day, more if it's humid and hot out. I empty their swimming water every 2-3 days in the hot weather. Twice a week in the cooler weather. However, I have had muscovies for years until just recently I got runners. They use water totally different than the muscovies. So, I might be changing swim water every 2-3 days as they really muck up all water. 🙄

In winter, I put a good thick layer of straw over top of shavings. They like to bed down in it and keep warm. And, mostly I spot clean out as much poo as I can. I put up bales of straw as wind blockers in their run and I put up some tarps around the run to block wind and most snow.

I use a treadle feeder and keep it filled. They don't gorge themselves. I have thought of feeding them in the a.m. and p.m., but then when (if) I go on vacation, it needs to be easily tended to, so I have them use a treadle feeder.

I was free ranging until this past summer and I've lost a few ducks to a fox. 😢
So, now they are kept in the run until I get the fox situation sorted out - if it ever gets sorted out. 😫

You will figure out what works for you and your flock. Everyone does things a little bit different.
Ducks are definitely stinkier than chickens. It kind of gets worse - the food combined with water is a pretty putrid smell. Oh and wait till you come across a broody duck poo (if your ducks become broody). 🤢 My muscovy girls are the worst. They also hold poos to relieve themselves once out of the duck house - broody or not and that is pretty rank!
Enjoy and have fun. All the work (and smelliness) is worth it.

Always helps when answering if you add your location. Just use general terms.

I am in Eastern Ontario, Canada, when we have months of well below freezing temperatures, and lots of snow. My ducks have a wood coop with an attached run. I use shavings.

In the summer I spot clean daily, and do a complete clean out about every month. They are shut into the coop at night, with no food or water. Never leave ducks with food without water. I use gravity feed water bowls the same as you can purchase for large dogs. They also have a pool. Water in both is changed daily. I have a large, gravity filled feeder that I add to daily. Every couple of weeks I dump it out because a lot of powdery stuff accumulates in the bottom.

In the winter I also spot clean as much as possible. By mid-March, I would need a pick-axe to get all the poop out. I just keep adding more shavings. As soon as possible in the spring, I clean it right down to the floor and start summer routine. Their food and water are still only available in the run when I let them out in the morning. I have to bring the water containers in each night to thaw. They do not have a pool in the winter.

Mine free-range under supervision. After a heavy snow, I feel badly for the first duck cutting a trail, so I often go and stomp out some paths for them.

I would suggest you get yours outside to the coop and run as soon as possible. They need to acclimatize to the cooling weather. I would also not let them free-range for several weeks until them are used to the coop and run as home. You can train them early to return to the coop when called by providing special treats that they only get then.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for this advice. This is very much what I was thinking of doing too.
My little ones are 3 weeks old, half white, half yellow still lol. My temps have been hitting 40s at night, is that too cold for them? They are currently in my basement without the heat source as they are perfectly happy at 68. I have had them outside during the day to swim in a kiddy pool and waddle around the run but then I dry them and bring them in as I am nervous they will get too cold...

For my ducks, I do not provide food or water once they are put to bed. Unless, I have to lock them in their duck house and then food and water will be provided. I've only had to do that when the winter temps dipped so low it was abnormally cold (-70 degrees).

I clean poos out of the duck house once per day and pick up (using a garden shovel) any poos in the run so that it can be as clean and tidy as possible. 😁

Fresh "drinking" water provided twice a day, more if it's humid and hot out. I empty their swimming water every 2-3 days in the hot weather. Twice a week in the cooler weather. However, I have had muscovies for years until just recently I got runners. They use water totally different than the muscovies. So, I might be changing swim water every 2-3 days as they really muck up all water. 🙄

In winter, I put a good thick layer of straw over top of shavings. They like to bed down in it and keep warm. And, mostly I spot clean out as much poo as I can. I put up bales of straw as wind blockers in their run and I put up some tarps around the run to block wind and most snow.

I use a treadle feeder and keep it filled. They don't gorge themselves. I have thought of feeding them in the a.m. and p.m., but then when (if) I go on vacation, it needs to be easily tended to, so I have them use a treadle feeder.

I was free ranging until this past summer and I've lost a few ducks to a fox. 😢
So, now they are kept in the run until I get the fox situation sorted out - if it ever gets sorted out. 😫

You will figure out what works for you and your flock. Everyone does things a little bit different.
Ducks are definitely stinkier than chickens. It kind of gets worse - the food combined with water is a pretty putrid smell. Oh and wait till you come across a broody duck poo (if your ducks become broody). 🤢 My muscovy girls are the worst. They also hold poos to relieve themselves once out of the duck house - broody or not and that is pretty rank!
Enjoy and have fun. All the work (and smelliness) is worth it.
Thank you so much for all this information!!

Back
Top Bottom