Duck makes weird noises...

Yes miss lydia .. she is much better now .. i take her to vet , vet said she is suffering from respiratory infection due to weather changes.. so now im giving her antibiotics (terramycin) and some vitamins

Great to hear happy to hear you found out what was wrong hopefully the meds will clear it up quick. I think a good molt will even make her feathers look even better. Thank you for updating!!

Storey's Guide writes about Chronic Respiratory Disease

Symptoms include coughing, sneezing, thick mucous discharge from the nostrils, ruffled feathers, irregular or stunted growth.

Antibiotics suggested are erythromycin (Galimycin) and tetracyclines (Aureomycin and Terramycin or Agromycin)... Tylosin (Tylan) often most effective but hard to locate - ask a veterinarian.

If you are not seeing these symptoms and things seem otherwise okay, it is hard to make the call. I am wondering if she is just kind of mumbling to herself.

If you have poultry vitamins, I'd give everyone some vitamins in their water. And add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water as a tonic. And watch carefully.

Do a search on respiratory infection and one on antibiotics - there is good information and I cannot remember it all.

One of my ducklings is doing this also...I have 2 pekin and 2 muscovies they are 2 weeks old ...I just noticed it today....hoping it's not respiratory..

It's my first night with 3 ancona (f probably ?) 6 week olds I noticed this same sound, when i played the video the 1 stopped & everyone tuned in, it was the exact sound ! I have a hunch that it might be self/group soothing for stressful situations ? Maybe one of the older or more care-giver type individuals in a flock at a given time coos when stuff is stressful, almost like a bedtime lullaby or something to amuse/settle the others, etc., lol? I'll keep observing, listening, etc., to rule out health issues, etc. They've also been panting some, also a sign of stress (it's warm, everything is new & temporary still & they feel it, etc.), though also potentially issues, so indeed I'll observe & listen ! Thank you!
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom