Duck-Math

Duck math is just as real as chicken math.

All I wanted was three ducklings. I went to a runner duck breeder and came home with ... four ducklings. No problem. I had room. As they grew, three of the four were -- of course -- drakes. I had to get more ducks.

Breeder had two girls that would have been about the right age. By the time I got there, one had been killed by a predator. So, now there were three drakes and two hens. Still not good. I waited for more runner hens to mature enough that they could handle the drakes. Two more girls. But mine were
Really frisky drakes.

Okay, three more ducklings. This time, I asked for SEXED ducklings. Of course, nothing is foolproof; two of the three were hens. Breeder offered to replace new drake with a hen. But, the little drake just decided to tell the other boys that his two girls were his, all his. And that's how I ended up with two sub-flocks that share a run, free range whenever possible together and spend their nights in two separate shelters.

My new motto: the more ducks, the better!

Duck math is just as real as chicken math.

All I wanted was three ducklings. I went to a runner duck breeder and came home with ... four ducklings. No problem. I had room. As they grew, three of the four were -- of course -- drakes. I had to get more ducks.

Breeder had two girls that would have been about the right age. By the time I got there, one had been killed by a predator. So, now there were three drakes and two hens. Still not good. I waited for more runner hens to mature enough that they could handle the drakes. Two more girls. But mine were
Really frisky drakes.

Okay, three more ducklings. This time, I asked for SEXED ducklings. Of course, nothing is foolproof; two of the three were hens. Breeder offered to replace new drake with a hen. But, the little drake just decided to tell the other boys that his two girls were his, all his. And that's how I ended up with two sub-flocks that share a run, free range whenever possible together and spend their nights in two separate shelters.

My new motto: the more ducks, the better!
More ducks is better than some ducks!

I did not break thesis number 4!!! However I have a SERIOUS case of duckling fever because the weather sucks. I definitely want to start a new flock this spring time and everyone said "oh get ducks Gil's age and put her outside!" NO NO NO NO NO. NO. NO. Gil doesn't like the cold at all. Not to mention there's a creek going through my backyard and I can hear the wild ducks being eaten by foxes at night! Luckily my grandparents live 3 houses down from me but off the side road so they don't have any parts of the creek in their yard. They don't mind if I build up a coop there because I am so close it's just a walk to them. That way I can still care for them and feed them. I'm also at my grandparents a decent amount since its close. However, they don't want more than probably 6 ducks in the backyard max. I'll have to chose wisely lol. Gil doesn't leave my side though. Inside, in the warmth with clean warm water. (She hates the creek water and it scares her)

Back
Top Bottom