Yapstan

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
I left my ducks in their run for the day, and when I returned I found my female pekin (about 15 weeks old) was missing some feathers on the back of her neck (I have attached some photos below), I also have an Indian runner duck who I believe is a drake by his quack, who is only 11 weeks old. I wanted to know if this was a sign of mating or not, and if it was normal or if this is aggressive behaviour. I have separated them for the night aswell. Would really appreciate any advice or input
BFF2494F-8B1F-4D59-9A90-19173D1C25CF.jpeg
7EE9EC2B-2553-49EA-8D4A-9C9FA9D8CDE6.jpeg

i don't think that is from mating. It looks like a predator did that. Any signs that something came into the run? @Isaac 0 could you help?
I’ve built a predator proof run, and I live in England where we usually only get foxes at night, and if I’m not around I always lock their run, but thank you for the advice, I also thought it could be a predator but my drake was left untouched.

I definitely don't think a drake, especially one at 11 weeks, could do that much damage. I also don't know what kind of predator did it. Have you found a pile of feathers laying around? THat could help.

I definitely don't think a drake, especially one at 11 weeks, could do that much damage. I also don't know what kind of predator did it. Have you found a pile of feathers laying around? THat could help.
No feathers anywhere, even in the pond

That is strange. I suggest putting her somewhere secure, like a garage or shed, for the night, since we already know that something got into it in broad daylight. And most predators come back for more, especially if they weren't successful the first time.

1. Can you attach pictures of your set-up that way we can identify if there are any weaknesses where a predator could get in?

2. Are you positive that your drake is only 11 weeks old? I have noticed that indian runner drake's tend to sexually mature faster (at least in my personal experience), but I have not noticed aggressive sexual behavior until they were 4 months.

1. Can you attach pictures of your set-up that way we can identify if there are any weaknesses where a predator could get in?

2. Are you positive that your drake is only 11 weeks old? I have noticed that indian runner drake's tend to sexually mature faster (at least in my personal experience), but I have not noticed aggressive sexual behavior until they were 4 months.

I have a rough photo of what it looks like, the door is on the side that hasn’t be imaged, but it’s got two locks one at the bottom and top, they’ve also got one side of the rough covered, and the other side on top of the pool is the chicken wire. We dug under the ground, and also added additional wiring so nothing could get in through the bottom.
3C575A72-6C78-4E16-86C0-3EBE40D05F39.jpeg

I’m also pretty certain he’s 11 weeks, as I hatched them both out myself, and recorded the dates they hatched.

I have a rough photo of what it looks like, the door is on the side that hasn’t be imaged, but it’s got two locks one at the bottom and top, they’ve also got one side of the rough covered, and the other side on top of the pool is the chicken wire. We dug under the ground, and also added additional wiring so nothing could get in through the bottom. View attachment 2368334
I’m also pretty certain he’s 11 weeks, as I hatched them both out myself, and recorded the dates they hatched.
Also this is quite an old image, I think from a few weeks back, as it’s night so I can’t take any photos right now.

Back
Top Bottom