My first thought was raccoon. They will reach through chicken wire. Since you are in England that doesn’t really fit so how about a badger? I do not know a lot about them but I found this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...r-lesson-last-night-very-large-badger.934325/
Just a thought. I have had some mean drakes but they do not have teeth or claws to cause damage like that.
I agree with cheezenkwackers. If you have racoons around they will reach through the wire no problem and grab poultry by the neck.

Sadly, your setup is not predator-proof. Predators can get through the chicken wire-like butter, and also easily reach their hands though. I would set a up a trail camera to see if/ or what is coming buy during the day, and reinforce the chicken wire with Hardware cloth.

Sadly, your setup is not predator-proof. Predators can get through the chicken wire-like butter, and also easily reach their hands though. I would set a up a trail camera to see if/ or what is coming buy during the day, and reinforce the chicken wire with Hardware cloth.
I’m going to reinforce it with hardware cloth soon, but is there anything you can recommend for the bare skin. I gave her a warm bath, but the area seems quite clean. I’m also not sure if I should separate my ducks, as they seem to get distressed when they’re not together.

I’ve just checked it again and it seems a bit whiteish, Ive attached some photos below
78BB95ED-AA6C-4453-8A04-3F5FADCDFCC9.jpeg
F3A70B3A-6D8F-4685-9F94-76CA5F259789.jpeg

I’m going to reinforce it with hardware cloth soon, but is there anything you can recommend for the bare skin. I gave her a warm bath, but the area seems quite clean. I’m also not sure if I should separate my ducks, as they seem to get distressed when they’re not together.

I wouldn't worry too much about the skin. If you want you could slather some honey on top, to keep everything moist, and ward off any bacteria, but you really don't want to be putting to much stuff on, as it might interfere with the proper development of the new feather follicles that will start growing soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the skin. If you want you could slather some honey on top, to keep everything moist, and ward off any bacteria, but you really don't want to be putting to much stuff on, as it might interfere with the proper development of the new feather follicles that will start growing soon.
Ok, thank you so much. Do you advise that I keep the ducks separate?

Not for sure but it looks similar to what a ferret did to some ducks we had when I was a kid. The lady next door did not want it anymore and put it outside. So it got in with our ducks and tried to kill them. It not being wild it had no skills and just ended up ripping off feathers and leaving a few bites. Not sure if ferrets are an issue where you live or not but they can get into that coop really easy.

Not for sure but it looks similar to what a ferret did to some ducks we had when I was a kid. The lady next door did not want it anymore and put it outside. So it got in with our ducks and tried to kill them. It not being wild it had no skills and just ended up ripping off feathers and leaving a few bites. Not sure if ferrets are an issue where you live or not but they can get into that coop really easy.
Thanks for that, I haven’t seen any ferrets around where I live but I’ll keep that in mind

Back
Top Bottom