Duck missing, water predator??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by homesteadinmama, Oct 8, 2011.

1. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    My hubby came in saying a duck was missing. They are let out around 7am and head over to the stream. Well, now they are terrified to get in the water. Didn't see anything, don't really have "predators" in these parts but there are snapping turtles in the stream. Are they able to take a full size swedish down? Poor ducks loved the water.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    We have had ducks gone missing, we have been seeing a couple of raccoons , I think thats what's been getting ours.

3. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Maybe a raccoon?

4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Snapping turtles can and will take a full grown duck by th foot and drown it the only way to stop them iis to shoot them in the head or put a strong underwater barrier of wire that way the water can still flow but the turtles are kept out. Mink and raccoons are both excellant swimmers and a large eagle also may have carried it off as they are known to carry off medium sized geese.

5. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know where you're from but the one predator that has not been listed is a gator. I sure hope it's not one.

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:what is an underwater barrier going to do? the turtle can just walk around the barrier and back into the water.

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:what is an underwater barrier going to do? the turtle can just walk around the barrier and back into the water.

lol lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  8. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    Snapping turtle will do it.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have seen large bass eat fairly new goslings not sure where you are but snapping turtles and otter would do what you describe mink and weasels will kill eat ducks too

10. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My cousin had a snapping turtle in her pond take off the head of her runner duck..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by