Duck nest

Jodie520

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2016
Cleveland, TX
I have a question, I have a duck that is sitting on a nest in a dog crate. One duck started laying in there first. Then she abandoned the nest and left her eggs. The next duck right away layed eggs and took over the nest. Today I checked the nest and a bad egg or eggs had busted. And the eggs and straw was covered with the stuff. So while she was in the pond I remove the straw, hosed out the carrier,put new straw in and got a tub of warm water and rinsed off the eggs. Then placed them back in the clean nest.
So may concern is that the bad eggs that broke has contaminated the other eggs. She has returned to the nest and is sitting on her nest.

Probably was a bad idea to wash off the eggs. There is a protective coating on them called the "bloom" that keeps bad bacteria out. Unfortunately, you probably just removed it. The bloom is why they recommend only washing your eggs right before you use them and not right when you get them. Live and learn. They may be fine too, hard to say.

Probably was a bad idea to wash off the eggs. There is a protective coating on them called the "bloom" that keeps bad bacteria out. Unfortunately, you probably just removed it. The bloom is why they recommend only washing your eggs right before you use them and not right when you get them. Live and learn. They may be fine too, hard to say.

I lightly rinsed them off. But I did know about the bloom. So was careful not to rub it off. But you may be right. I just thought It was better than leaving them like that they was really bad!

Back
Top Bottom