Duck no longer swimming

melster28

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2017
Question:

I have a 6 month old male Pekin. He has loved swimming since the day I got him. Now as soon as we put him in his pool he jumps right out. Nothing has changed so I don't understand what his deal is. For some weird reason, he no longer likes to swim. Is this normal? Or is there something I should be worried about?

Something spooked him, even if it seems nothing has changed to you. My girls went off their pool for days bc a small ball had somehow ended up in it. Anything out of the norm can put them off for a bit. Another time a twig fell in there. Big drama. I got them over it by putting them in the pool and blocking them from getting out gently with my hands out, and I just sat with them. Once they realized that nothing bad was happening, they went back to normal. Hope that helps

I never even thought of that. He is mostly indoors and he has just recently been going outside on his own, so he is still a little skittish about some things. Thank you for the advice, that makes total sense! Btw your profile picture is so cute! Is your duck that is laying on you male or female? Mine use to lay with me just like that but now if I'm laying down he tries to mate with me. LOL! So we don't get to snuggle like we use to. It bums me out. He is still super friendly to me, but tries to attack anyone who comes around including our pugs he grew up with. But I am so in love with my little guy (Cooper). He makes me laugh. He has the funniest and cutest personality!! Thanks again.

I never even thought of that. He is mostly indoors and he has just recently been going outside on his own, so he is still a little skittish about some things. Thank you for the advice, that makes total sense! Btw your profile picture is so cute! Is your duck that is laying on you male or female? Mine use to lay with me just like that but now if I'm laying down he tries to mate with me. LOL! So we don't get to snuggle like we use to. It bums me out. He is still super friendly to me, but tries to attack anyone who comes around including our pugs he grew up with. But I am so in love with my little guy (Cooper). He makes me laugh. He has the funniest and cutest personality!! Thanks again.

Those were my girls when they were babies.....there's two of them snuggling in that pic....both girls. Mine are full time outdoors now so no more Netflix marathons. But they're still willing to tolerate a daily cuddle or two! I just love them!

Drakes all go through what your experiencing with your drake. They become hormonal but hopefully soon as winter approaches he will settle down some to where he is a joy to be around. My Muscovy drake is beginning to settle some now after a crazy summer. He even comes in the house during winter to visit and doesn't attack my dh.

Does it have easy access in and out of the pool?....Bricks a ramp?...Once they get heavier it might be to hard to get in and out.....?.....

He doesn't. He can get in there on his own but he usually waits for us to put him in. He is mostly indoors so hle is super co-dependant. We are remodeling the back yard right now so

don't worry. that will only happen six months out of the year. His man parts will eventually fall off and he will be back to his normal self.

Back
Top Bottom