Duck 'orientation'?!

JillZaHulk

Songster
Oct 4, 2019
Western Washington State
So I know when you have a flock of all girls the girls can act out sex with each other.... When there are too many boys do they do that too???

Our flock is in desperate need of more girls. We currently have 1 girl Pekin and 3 boys (1 Pekin, 1 Mallard, 1 Khaki). Our Pekin Drake chases the khaki all around the run, bites at his neck, pins him down, climbs on, and...! So far our two pekins seemed to be mates but I dunno anymore. The girl always yells at the pekin Drake and he seems to get the Mallard and khaki to back off or stay away from her whenever she gets in the water...

I dunno. What do you think? The khaki doesn't dry to fight back or anything. He just runs around/away but the pekin Drake always gets him in the end. And they do this numerous times in a row.

It can be done for asserting dominance, water means sexy time for ducks, so it makes it worse!
I have four drakes who live in one pen, and 2 boys and one girl in another. That is NOT a good situation in my second pen, normally, but one drake is partially blind, and the three are survivors of a bad predator attack. She is not over mated. You’ll have to keep an eye on your female, if she’s missing feathers on her neck, she needs to be separated. Be aware that multiple drakes can drown a hen. I’d get rid of a few drakes, or pick up more girls ASAP!

Yes one day her neck will be missing feathers and the next day her neck will seem almost full and smooth again.

The khaki Drake recently started having feathers go missing on his neck after a couple Pekin drake encounters. If I separate the pekin Drake during the day (put him in ducky jail) the hen, and other two Drake's are fine but the minute the pekin Drake is set free to the run he's chasing after the khaki Drake.

Yes I agree we are in desperate need of more girls. I want to get more hens asap since we want to expand the flock anyway. Initially we only really wanted one or two Drake's if that, but due to circumstances at the home they came from he was left by himself because his pair died so he came to us. I think this week I'm going to do what I can to find some young but grown hens to introduce. I'm determined. The flock WILL grow by no less than 5 hens this week!

751A72D6-417B-430E-BADA-452B42E72E91.jpeg
605C75A1-6232-4918-9E6C-D2BAA2F22202.jpeg
Curious what you guys think, I'm still going to make this it's own post too tho, this is the khaki's beak.. It doesn't look right to me. It's layers are peeling and there's this weird black/brown slimy-ish muck on the top middle that won't just wipe away. Not knowing what it is I don't want to scrape it... What do you think? Could it be a scab of sorts? Maybe something the Pekin Drake could be doing to him??

Yes I agree we are in desperate need of more girls. I want to get more hens asap since we want to expand the flock anyway. Initially we only really wanted one or two Drake's if that, but due to circumstances at the home they came from he was left by himself because his pair died so he came to us. I think this week I'm going to do what I can to find some young but grown hens to introduce. I'm determined. The flock WILL grow by no less than 5 hens this week!
Wow...where are you going to find full grown females..that was my problem..I advertise on the net looking to buy them but get little to no response..either they are way far away or want a fortune...but I did notify one drake..who is typically a top guy, has a red back of his neck..that’s got to be why...hmmm...geez...even more reason I need to do something about my situation...good luck with your boys ❤️

Back
Top Bottom