Duck pain meds?

Quote:
X2 I agree Blue .......but your beating a dead horse here and it will more than likely fall upon deaf ears here in this community. we in the real world practice logic and common sense where as the "pet chicken" community rely upon non-sensical emotions to dictate treatment. I relish in the fact that our flocks are healthier, injury and disease free alike because common sense overules, what some regard more as a human emotional condition as an animal one.

Last edited:
Quote:
That makes sense. That's why I don't bute my horse if she's lame. Although, what about if she's sometimes uncomfortable just sitting there? Although... then it would be hard to see if she's improving at all. If the duck were still standing and just limping, I'd never think of giving her anything for pain. But now she won't even stand and I'm worried about possible internal injury (although now she's been swimming in the tub with her good leg, just not standing). As long as she's comfortable when she's just sitting still, I won't give her any pain killer.

Another thing we were considering is, could it be a bacterial problem? I noticed that she does have very slight "bedsores" on her knees (or whatever those are called on ducks). We picked up some Tetracycline Hydrochloride today. Would it hurt her to give it just in case and see if it helps? Also, on the package it says for poultry, but only gives feeding instructions for chickens and turkeys. How could I measure the proper ammount for a 5 week old duck? Should I use the chicken dosage and cut it half or something?

Last edited:
Quote:
X2 I agree Blue .......but your beating a dead horse here and it will more than likely fall upon deaf ears here in this community. we in the real world practice logic and common sense where as the "pet chicken" community rely upon non-sensical emotions to dictate treatment. I relish in the fact that our flocks are healthier, injury and disease free alike because common sense overules, what some regard more as a human emotional condition as an animal one.

Funny how there are massive die-offs in the "real world" such as hatcheries, chicken/turkey farms-the epitome of logic and common sense. No human emotional condition there, right?
So pleased that we in the "pet chicken"community give you in the real world something to look down your nose at. Makes me feel like I have a purpose here.

Quote:
That makes sense. That's why I don't bute my horse if she's lame. Although, what about if she's sometimes uncomfortable just sitting there? Although... then it would be hard to see if she's improving at all. If the duck were still standing and just limping, I'd never think of giving her anything for pain. But now she won't even stand and I'm worried about possible internal injury (although now she's been swimming in the tub with her good leg, just not standing). As long as she's comfortable when she's just sitting still, I won't give her any pain killer.

Another thing we were considering is, could it be a bacterial problem? I noticed that she does have very slight "bedsores" on her knees (or whatever those are called on ducks). We picked up some Tetracycline Hydrochloride today. Would it hurt her to give it just in case and see if it helps? Also, on the package it says for poultry, but only gives feeding instructions for chickens and turkeys. How could I measure the proper ammount for a 5 week old duck? Should I use the chicken dosage and cut it half or something?

you might want to look tetracycline up befor giving it to your duck, waterfowl are very sensitive to meds. and I'm not sure this one is safe to use. Have you tried soaking her leg in some warm epson salt water[don't let her drink it]

Quote:

you might want to look tetracycline up befor giving it to your duck, waterfowl are very sensitive to meds. and I'm not sure this one is safe to use. Have you tried soaking her leg in some warm epson salt water[don't let her drink it]

I've been trying to research it, but without much luck. If I can't find anything that I can rely on, I'll just return it to stay on the safe side. I can mix up a warm epsom salt solution later. (we always have that on hand for the horse!
tongue.png
) How can I keep her from drinking it though? Maybe I'll offer a bunch of tomatoes or peaches or something nearby.
big_smile.png

As an update, her general demeanor seems to have improved, and she seems a bit more comfortable than she was. BUT she keeps her hurt leg out straight behind her and doesn't like it to be bent at all. I'm not sure if that can help with a diagnosis or not. I've also been looking for a vet in the area that treats ducks, but am worried that we'll spend a few hundred dollars to tell us something like "just don't let her move the leg" or something like that...
sad.png

Quote:

I've been trying to research it, but without much luck. If I can't find anything that I can rely on, I'll just return it to stay on the safe side. I can mix up a warm epsom salt solution later. (we always have that on hand for the horse!
tongue.png
) How can I keep her from drinking it though? Maybe I'll offer a bunch of tomatoes or peaches or something nearby.
big_smile.png

As an update, her general demeanor seems to have improved, and she seems a bit more comfortable than she was. BUT she keeps her hurt leg out straight behind her and doesn't like it to be bent at all. I'm not sure if that can help with a diagnosis or not. I've also been looking for a vet in the area that treats ducks, but am worried that we'll spend a few hundred dollars to tell us something like "just don't let her move the leg" or something like that...
sad.png

I found this in the BYC archives..
My list from Twin City Supply says Not to use Tetracycline for waterfowl.
------------------------------------------
Are you keeping her in a more confined area so she isn't trying to walk or use the leg much, I'd at least try soaking her leg a couple times a day with the epsom salt and keep her quite during that time and see if it helps. I use a dish pan to soak my ducks legs but he's a huge drake so after I stand him in the pan you can't even see the water. If you have a small bucket or something like that you could use, and just don't let her put her head towards the water. It has a laxative effect is why you don't want them drinking it. I believe I would put somthing like neosporin on her knees where the sores are, just make sure it doesn't have pain relief ending in caine.

Ah, ok then I definitely won't use the Tetracycline. Right now she's staying in a pretty small box in the kitchen. Either way, she doesn't move around much. I'll try the epsom salt idea.
smile.png
I'll figure out a way not to let her drink the water. (But, do you think anything with a laxative effect would really affect a duck?
lol.png
lol. Aside from dehydrating them. You know what I mean.
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
Quote:
I know what your saying it looks like they take laxatives most of the time lol. If you have a bowl that would be deep enough to put her leg into or both legs, that may make her feel more secure if you put both her legs in. My drake is limping right now, we live on the rockiest soil around, so I am not sure if he has bruised the bottom of his foot or if he has sprained his ankle[do ducks have ankles?] any way I have been soaking his feet then spraying the bottoms with veterycin and then putting him to bed. So far not much improvement but I will put him into smaller part of the yard tomorrow and see if a couple days rest helps. He follows his girls all over and they are very busy. Hoping your duck starts feeling better real soon.
fl.gif

Hope your duck makes a full recovery too!
smile.png
I might try to get a video of my ducklign if I can. Occasionally she does this "spasm" type of thing where she lifts her wings and shoves her bill into the ground, like she's trying to lift herself up and I'm not sure if that's what she's doign to try to move herself or if it's some other problem or what. Hopefully she's just trying to move around...

Back
Top Bottom