Duck pen information needed

WhyNotDucks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Hello, Everyone!!! I am new to this forum; I have gained a lot of helpful hints and ideas from here. I have never owned ducks before, and, for some odd reason, decided that this was the year to try. My husband has always wanted ducks, so before I get too old….

My question for all is: I live in Northeast Ohio where we can get quite a bit of snow in the winter. Our springs can sometimes be really wet. I plan on trying the deep litter method in the duck coop, but I am really curious as to what to use in their pen. I am getting 6-7 ducklings next month, having a 5' x 5' coop and a 20' x 10' pen for them that is on a slight downward slope. They will be penned when I am not home; I will have a small swim area for them as well in the pen, with a larger swim area outside the pen when they are free ranging. So considering all the various weather conditions we have here, I am not sure what might work the best for my situation. I know that it will all be trial and error, but if I could have a better head start, that would be great. Any input will be appreciated.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I don't know anything about ducks other than how cute they are and I love the quacking!! You will want to post these questions in our Duck section here on BYC for lots of help with your new birds....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Enjoy your new adventure and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you the link to follow for the duck experts, good luck getting your flock situated!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Not sure where you live, but even up here where it gets very cold many people provide more like a lean-to shelter than an enclosed coop - ducks are very hardy and like to be outside much of the time.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Bob & Aflack sunning in the noon sun
cool.png

The new boys on the block
smile.png

Feeding time at the zoo
thumbsup.gif

Ducks are a lot more hardy then chickens and really need water
all the time to drink and bath in and there is a oil sack on the lower
back side and if not allowed to be wet for a long time can cause
bug problems .....

They are easy to feed as they are like two legged pig's
love.gif

Enjoy your feathered friends
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn there! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.
I will check the ducks forum if it is posted there!

Wow!! Thank you all for the very nice welcome! I'm sure these new family members will bring a lot of joy to our lives. Along with multiple dogs, cats and 2 horses, they should fit right in to this household. I will take a look at the learning center; many places I need to venture. We are hoping to start the coop and pen project in the next few weeks. Ducklings are due the week after Memorial Day, and even though they will be inside in the brooder for a month or so, if the weather is good outside, need to take advantage! Happy Easter to all!

Back
Top Bottom