Duck Pipped at Wrong End

OreoPlymothRock

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Florida
Hello! My family and I are so excited because we have 11 ducklings hatching! They are Magpie ducklings. But there is a problem, one duckling is pipping on the narrow side of the egg. Is this okay? BTW, this was and is a natural incubation, so it is under her mother.

P.S. The duckling pipped at two points, both in the narrow end. It looks like it tried to pip at one spot and then moved to another spot. It broke through the shell, but the membrane isn't broken.

Last edited:
You know it's up to you but just recently someone posted about their drake killing a duckling. so it's something you just never know about, I keep my mamas and their ducklings separate from everyone else with fencing they have their own house that way everyone can see them and get use to the new ones but no one gets hurt or killed.

Up to you. :)

TRUE some drakes are like that and some are very protective. I have a drake who is sitting right next to his women. Waiting for her to stop sitting. I had another drake that would fight off anyone who came near or around his lady and babies. So you should watch there personalities and be prepared for those who aren't a good parents.

Okay, but the dad just stands next to them chasing away the other ducks we have.

Some drakes are great protectors. I have one of them. Never harmed the babies. I did separate mamma, Papa and babies ONLY because I had a rooster being a jerk and flipping momma babies in the air trying to kill them. But my drake was very well behaved with the kids. And enjoyed being with his lady friend getting away from all the others.

If my drake would have only went after the jerky rooster lol he would get bonus points. But he never did only went after other drakes that got near his women.

I read the whole thread and cried when the duckling died.
I did too, almost.
hit.gif
BUT luckily ducks lay a lot of eggs so if you are thinking of sad thoughts, looking at a cute fluffy duckling always lifts your spirit.
wee.gif

Last edited:
Oh my gosh! I just stumbled across this thread after reading about your poor little duckling on the shorter thread. I already knew you'd lost a duckling, I just wasn't prepared for the complete involvement I felt while reading THIS thread. Much more to the story! Also makes me terrified to try and hatch anything! Eek! You all have nerves of steel, even when you thought you were losing it! Good job ladies!!
1f44f-1f3fb.png
1f44f-1f3fb.png
1f44f-1f3fb.png
1f44f-1f3fb.png

I was just reading the whole thread of this "birthing" event! Gads! I don't think I could hatch eggs, I couldn't handle the drama! LOL

Glad it ended well. Were the remaining eggs "bad"? Y'all never said.

Yes, the remaining eggs were bad. The ducklings are adults now and have just hatched some eggs of their own, I will post pics later.
big_smile.png

Hello! My family and I are so excited because we have 11 ducklings hatching! They are Magpie ducklings. But there is a problem, one duckling is pipping on the narrow side of the egg. Is this okay? BTW, this was and is a natural incubation, so it is under her mother.
i think some expert advise would be in order, @casportpony or @Lacrystol our 2 resident experts on hatching maybe are on and can help.

has the duckling piped externally? seems as long as it can get fresh air it maybe okay till you hear from these 2 ladies.

i think some expert advise would be in order, @casportpony or @Lacrystol our 2 resident experts on hatching maybe are on and can help.

has the duckling piped externally? seems as long as it can get fresh air it maybe okay till you hear from these 2 ladies.
The duckling did pip externally, but the membrane in the spot is not broken, only the shell, so that is very strange.

Back
Top Bottom