Duck Pipped at Wrong End

OreoPlymothRock

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Florida
Hello! My family and I are so excited because we have 11 ducklings hatching! They are Magpie ducklings. But there is a problem, one duckling is pipping on the narrow side of the egg. Is this okay? BTW, this was and is a natural incubation, so it is under her mother.

P.S. The duckling pipped at two points, both in the narrow end. It looks like it tried to pip at one spot and then moved to another spot. It broke through the shell, but the membrane isn't broken.

Last edited:
Hello! My family and I are so excited because we have 11 ducklings hatching! They are Magpie ducklings. But there is a problem, one duckling is pipping on the narrow side of the egg. Is this okay? BTW, this was and is a natural incubation, so it is under her mother.
i think some expert advise would be in order, @casportpony or @Lacrystol our 2 resident experts on hatching maybe are on and can help.

has the duckling piped externally? seems as long as it can get fresh air it maybe okay till you hear from these 2 ladies.

i think some expert advise would be in order, @casportpony or @Lacrystol our 2 resident experts on hatching maybe are on and can help.

has the duckling piped externally? seems as long as it can get fresh air it maybe okay till you hear from these 2 ladies.
The duckling did pip externally, but the membrane in the spot is not broken, only the shell, so that is very strange.

I'm sorry, I can't really do that because the mother is really aggressive. I already took the egg out from under her to take pics. But I can describe. The whole egg is filled with the duckling, but there is no air sac. You see the bill pipping at the narrow end.

Last edited:
I sent @Lacrystol a text message, so hopefully she'll post soon, she's better at this than I am.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

P.S. The duckling pipped at two points, both in the narrow end. It looks like it tried to pip at one spot and then moved to another spot. It broke through the shell, but the membrane isn't broken.

MAGPIE, OH HANG ON>>>>

I sent @Lacrystol a text message, so hopefully she'll post soon, she's better at this than I am.
big_smile.png

-Kathy
Thank you for your effort though!
bow.gif
All the ducklings are internally pipping, a few have cracked the shell.
ya.gif
wee.gif
The mother is so aggressive. She won't let anyone get near her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom