Duck Pond/Pool Access Question

May 10, 2019
Hi duck friends!

I’ve been building my duck house and run, and need some help with the pool. Everyone says make sure that the ducks can get in and out of the water on their own, but I’m having a hard time finding out exactly how to do this.

I have an 18 gallon tank that sits into the deck (see pics of my progress). Therefore, the ducks can easily enter the pool. What is the best way for them to get out? Do they need something to stand on?

Thanks for your help!

7016BBE0-9E1D-4901-8E14-D287A7A41E02.jpeg
E6C297B0-2749-4923-8C6E-0961286A21B8.jpeg
95B92AA4-9A4E-410E-9F70-54624D607447.jpeg
13F4B59A-9451-4259-BED0-9282DBAAA1F3.jpeg

looks sweet so far, i love the bright colors

So are they going to spend 24/7 in it?

as far as the pool goes, The best thing might be to cover the hole temporarily and give a pan of water untill their older

Ducklings can get water logged and drown easily, happens sometimes.

Once their more mature theyd be able to enter exit the pool with a simple ramp or step

They are realy cute by the way!

looks sweet so far, i love the bright colors

So are they going to spend 24/7 in it?

as far as the pool goes, The best thing might be to cover the hole temporarily and give a pan of water untill their older

Ducklings can get water logged and drown easily, happens sometimes.

Once their more mature theyd be able to enter exit the pool with a simple ramp or step

They are realy cute by the way!
Thanks! I wanted it to be cheerful! They will spend most of the time in the enclosure, but will be let out in the morning or evening.

They can’t free range when I’m not home because there are far too many predators. I’m adding some roofing to part of the pen so they have shade as well.

They won’t be moving outside for a few more weeks, since they are only about 5 weeks now.

Thanks for the help!

Your a stronger person than iam! 5 week old ducklings indoors is intensive work:gig

Only animal that can eat a pound and poop a pound a half

if their gonna be able to stand in the pool then they might be fine without a step or ramp,
i always put a step in mine tho

Your a stronger person than iam! 5 week old ducklings indoors is intensive work:gig

if their gonna be able to stand in the pool then they might be fine without a step or ramp,
So true!! :gigIts keeping me super duper busy that’s for sure! My husband is deployed so the build is going slower than I hoped, but I’m only a few days away now. I think I’ll take your advice and cover the pool to get them out of the house quicker though.

Hi duck friends!

I’ve been building my duck house and run, and need some help with the pool. Everyone says make sure that the ducks can get in and out of the water on their own, but I’m having a hard time finding out exactly how to do this.

I have an 18 gallon tank that sits into the deck (see pics of my progress). Therefore, the ducks can easily enter the pool. What is the best way for them to get out? Do they need something to stand on?

Thanks for your help!

View attachment 1777097 View attachment 1777100 View attachment 1777102 View attachment 1777103
that is just too cute! I know you're going to use hardware cloth on every opening before you're done right?

I love your succulent roof idea. Your yard looks pretty green, which suggests that you get plenty of rain. You may want to consider drilling some small drainage holes along the bottom of the downhill side walls of the roof planters to allow excess water to drain. Also consider putting a layer of pea-sized gravel in the bottom to help water drain through the holes instead of sitting in the planters and drowning your succulents or rotting your roof. I put a layer of gravel then a layer of weed cloth and the cactus/succulent soil on top to keep the soil from clogging my drainage. Succulents will grow well in the ground outdoors in my climate, but drainage or lack thereof is a make or break issue for them and our soil retains too much moisture at certain times of the year, so they don’t do well long term.

I had my first four indoors in the brooder for five months because I got hurt while building their coop and had to slow way down on the build. I carried them outside to a pet gazebo every morning and back inside every evening. I was so GLAD to get that house and pen built so they could move outside permanently!

Back
Top Bottom