Duck Pond Thoughts...Comments Wanted

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lolliegee, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I've started digging a hole for my pond and have been reading through all the different threads about peoples ponds and wondering how I'm gonna keep things clean. I've got 6 Khaki Campbells and boy are they messy! I was sitting here on the couch a night or two ago, looking at my 50 gallon fish tank and was struck by inspiration, I hope. I have pretty good depth of substrate (gravel) on the bottom and although I'm terrible about cleaning it, my fish have always thrived. The gravel makes a great filter so to speak for solid waste and the pump and actual filter keep the water nice and clean.

What if I were to do the same thing for my duck pond? I could dig it a good foot or more deeper than I want it and add a thick layer of gravel...wouldn't that work to keep the water clean? I, of course, would still have a regular filter/pump (I'm looking at one of the home-made filters...trying to keep costs down), but I'm thinking the gravel would really work to keep the solid waste contained.

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this. I need some of that great wisdom that is so plentiful on this board. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I guess with the fish you are striking a natural balance...not too many fish, the right amount of food and a good filter. Do you have other fish or creatures to help clean?

Our ducks are on a "seasonal" creek/pond. Luckily there is enough movement that it is not stagnant and thousands of frogs and other critters to keep things "clean".

I imagine the gravel would give somewhere for the manure to settle into...but I haven't the experience to offer much!

If you are using gravel and the filter/pump - what would be the purpose of the pump....to try and filter and remove mess?

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Nice Idea but I am afraid the gravel is not going to solve your problems. The 'solids' will settle down into it while the rest dissolve in the water. Everything will still be there and sooner or later you will have a stinking pond on your hands with no real way of cleaning it. In my small pools I leave bare plastic bottom and use the pickup hose from my pump to remove the solids(this 'duck soup' makes great liguid fertilizer) like a vacuum cleaner or a swim pool cleaner. BTW I basically change the water every three days by pumping solids out with part of the water(goes on lawn or garden) and topping off with fresh water. If you find a filter that can handle all the solids from ducks be sure and post about it because I have been looking for one for 7 years now! ~gd

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I think a pump would clog up with all the waste and debris that falls in a pond. I have a dirt pond that is lined with pea gravel. It does stay clear in the summer.
    I also added a few pond plants but the ducks keep them trimmed!
    I found some bottom plants that spread rapidly and seem to help keep it clean. I do not know what they are, I got them out of a lake while golfing.....

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The only problem I am having with my pond is leaves, twigs, feathers and other sediment. I am going to use a shop vac to just clean that out on occasion. When the ducks aren't actively kicking up the sediment, the pond is clear and doesn't stink. I do not change water, just top off what is lost due to splashing and evaporation.

My filtering system is 2 modified "skippy filters".
    http://www.skippysstuff.com/minime.htm

6. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had a small pond before, no ducks at that time, and it was too much work to keep clean! I am happy having a wading pool for them and easy to dump. See my new youtube video on my website. My ducks had their first swim yesterday!! How much fun was that!!! By the end of the day there were 5 khakis, 1 pekin and 1 mallard, all in together.

7. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Sorry I wasn't clear enough on my post. I do not completely change water every 3 days. What I meant was that with the daily top offs and removing sludge from the bottom, I estimated the water turned over in three days. The buggers throw and splash out a lot of water each day to the point that I often have to come back and retop when they go wild with cool fresh water. My pump is a 'solids chopper' type which I bought used from a hog producer who used it to move hog waste into his lagoon system. There is a chopper blade upstream from the pump body and the intake line is 1 1/2 plastic rather than a garden hose. Thanks for the info on the 'skippy filters' I'll look into them. ~gd

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ahhhh...gotcha [​IMG]

Yeah...SPLASHAGE does help the water transfer doesn't it...LOL

My teenage rouen has figured out how much fun diving is. I swear Bungie kicks out a gallon every time he/she goes totally under [​IMG]

9. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:yep and I had mostly geese and large ducks. One gander would throw at least 5 gallons for just his bath. I even tried a shower head but they didn't like that much.

10. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i have a natural HUGE pond next to my house. its nasty, always has been. the water is clear, the bottom is just mud and leaves etc. there are a bunch of fish, turtles and frogs in there. i have a small kiddie pool for my ducks though and i have to dump it everyday. the pond i just leave be. no way of cleaning it. the ducks LOVE all the stuff on the bottom. their bottoms are constantly in the air! its so cute. good luck with your duckies! but mine can splash out sooo much water from the kiddie pool. in the winter, it would take forever to fill with no hose, and then just one would climb in, splash around, and the pool would be pretty much empty! ugh!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by