Duck Pond

PuddlesandNoodles

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
I am sick of dumping out nasty kiddie pools full of nasty, so I looked for Ponds for my backyard and i got these two on Craigslist for $10 total, GREAT DEAL. They don't leak and they keep their shape well.

The one the left has 4 top holes for pipes, and hoses, etc.

44212_000_0005.jpg

LEFT Pool:
44212_000_0001.jpg

44212_000_0004.jpg

The one on the right has no holes on the top shelf like the other one, but instead has a single hole drilled into the side of the bottom of the pool.
44212_000_0002.jpg

44212_000_0003.jpg

I don't have a filter, pump, etc. and i don't have a ton of money to spend on one. I'm not sure how i'm going to assemble these together either. I have 2 ducks, and i think they would love these, i just have to get them to work first. ANY help would be great.

Esspecially if you have ideas how to position them together

THANKS!

Last edited:
Cool! The one with the holes for pipes you could hook up to a filtering system so you wouldn't have to clean it as often.

I was thinking of doing something like that this coming summer. Nice find on craigslist!!!

If you have a bit of a hill what you can do is put these at the top and install a bottom drain (shower drains are great for this). Have the drain go into a PVC pipe and trench for the pipe. Put a cap at the end with threads. When you want to clean it out uncap it and the pressure from the water will drain and clean it all.

I would use the smaller pool as a biofilter of sorts. Fill it full of water plants and don't let the ducks in it. A pump will be a necessity though.

Puddles and Noodles, that is a great find! Maybe I should start checking Craigslist before I go buy pond lining, haha. Hopefully I will get as lucky!

Quote:
This is a great idea. But, how would you keep the ducks out of the first pond? Could this be done with only one pond, or would the ducks just eat all plants? Is it expensive? I see you have a link in your sig about biofilters - I will go check that out, maybe all my answers are there.

Great Buy!

I would use one of them (keep the other for later) if you only have two ducks (they are extremely messy. The simplest thing to do would be put a bottom drain in the pond and sink it into the ground with a ball valve (or similar manual valve) at the end of your outflow. Then you can just empty the pool every week or so (that should be fine for two ducks) and re-fill it (hose it down). That way you won’t need a filter! And then you could use the other pond as a garden pond if you like (I would not recommend trying to keep any plants, fish etc in a pond with your ducks as the water will be fowled quickly, and the ducks will destroy most plants.)

Back
Top Bottom