Duck pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mbspires, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mbspires

mbspires New Egg

Dec 18, 2011
    I have 4 Swedish ducks about 6 weeks old.
    They have access right now to three 'tub's and a one gallon chicken waterer.....
    I have 5 chickens as well, and I can't seem to get the ducks to leave the chicken's water alone... anyway....

I live in Central Florida and am attempting figure out the most cost effective yet big enough for my four ducks. I can't find any swimming pool at Walmart, kmart, etc... so what other ideas can one use?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Hi there and [​IMG].

I remember about this time last year a member posting they were having difficulty finding a pool. Being out of season- they are not likely to be out on display- but it may pay to ask some of the staff if there is any out the back in storage If memory serves me correctly- The lady actually got a few really cheap since the store was glad to get them out of the storeroom being that they take up a bit of room.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Find a TSC and they sell these mixing troughs that are rectangular, I used it for my call ducks, before we cleaned up our dog pool.

4. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Yep...

both previous replys are right on..

get the mngr at the target, walmart, k-mart or whatever dept store you have and ask if they have the kiddie pools stored in back. They normally sell for $12 in summer but I've bought them for $5 ea in winter...just to get rid of them.

next would be any hardware store and buy some form of tub for mortor mixing or a plastic wash tub. You can add a drain with a plastic pvc fitting (glued in place with JB weld or other good silicone sealer) and length of plastic hose. Pinch it off to hold or open to drain. needs to be 1/2" or bigger.

I was just wondering around the storage isle at Home Depot and found several tubs that would work...there is a nice round one that has rope handles that i want someday...this trip was for food/water modular type containers...bowls that fit inside something else to keep the spillage and mess to a minimum. Storage containers seem to have better sales for 'other' uses than for storage !

5. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    I would definitely ask at a local store. I didn't think Walmart had them either about 2 months ago, figured that stuff got sent back to warehouse. I asked the associate, and we went "digging" through the outdoor lawn and garden center and found some!! That section was closed to the public b/c they were using it for storage during the winter. They still had all of the beach chairs, planters, top soil, etc out there. It looked way worse than my attic and basement combined!! [​IMG]

6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Go to lowes or homedepot and look out in the garden section out side. They usually have them all year round out there.

And [​IMG] from another floridian!!!!

7. TTeddy

TTeddy Out Of The Brooder

Those containers that you buy to go under beds for storage are about the right size and deep enough. The lady I bought my ducks from used them and recommended them.
    I bought an old laundry trough today. I will invent a way for them to get in and out and also a way to empty it from the plug, without having to put my hand in. Will probably put a false bottom in it or some rocks as it is too deep, I want to conserve as much water as I can as I will be refreshing their water every day. I'll raise it and have a drain pipe leading to a part of my garden. It should work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by