Duck Pool Heater Alternatives?

CherpNPeep

Songster
Aug 8, 2018
Canada, Vancouver
Winter is coming along and where I'm living in Canada, BC is hitting freezing temperatures at the time freezing up the duck pool. I'm looking for cheap alternatives for duck pool heaters at the time, are there any safe heaters currently or any diy?
Another question would be if the ducks require a swim all winter. :thumbsup

depending on how your pool is you could put a big aquarium air bubbler in it. it would keep it open for awhile

But if its a kiddy pool above ground it would take alot of energy to keep it thawed because theirs no insulation

If you get a large pan or lid full of saltwater it wont freeze where you place it. You could do that each day to melt a place for the ducks to swim. A heater to keep water from freezing would be very expensive.

Depending on the size of the pool and if you have electric available, a bird bath or floating pond heater may work.
The ducks will keep some open for a while.
If the pool is buried in the ground it will help.
If there is no electric, it is up to the ducks.

If you get a large pan or lid full of saltwater it wont freeze where you place it. You could do that each day to melt a place for the ducks to swim. A heater to keep water from freezing would be very expensive.
Uh, don't use salt water, ducks drink water - a lot of water. They swish their face in it too. The salt water would not be good for them.
@CherpNPeep The ducks don't need a pool everyday. But, the rubber feed bowls work well for fresh water and you can break the ice out of them. My ducks keep the water from freezing just by the interaction with it.
Admittedly though, it has not been as cold here yet as it could be in Canada. Just a few days of some below average temps.
I think @chickens really gets a pool out when it's nicer (not sure what temp that would be though) and she has a short hose that she uses. I think she keeps the pool close by the spicket. But, I dont think she keeps the pool filled all the time. Maybe she will pop in and clarify.

Last year I used a floating stock tank heater in my pool. It worked great as far as keeping it thawed. . but draining it and refilling it is the problem.
This winter I've opted to cover the big pool. I use a bird bath heater in a cement mixing tub, partially covered just enough so they can drink and dunk their heads. On days it gets a bit nice out I remove the cover, fill a second tub and let them take a bath.
They don't have to have swimming water full time, But it's good to let them get cleaned up as often as possible for their happiness as well as feather condition. :)
20181111_155908.jpg
20181111_155828.jpg

Last year I used a floating stock tank heater in my pool. It worked great as far as keeping it thawed. . but draining it and refilling it is the problem.
This winter I've opted to cover the big pool. I use a bird bath heater in a cement mixing tub, partially covered just enough so they can drink and dunk their heads. On days it gets a bit nice out I remove the cover, fill a second tub and let them take a bath.
They don't have to have swimming water full time, But it's good to let them get cleaned up as often as possible for their happiness as well as feather condition. :)View attachment 1607753 View attachment 1607754
I love that set up!

Back
Top Bottom