Duck Pool - How to pump it?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by countrygirl74, Feb 14, 2013.

1. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    We got a really good deal on a big plastic pool for our 4 ducks. I would like to find a way to pump the water out and use it to water the grass, trees, etc. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the type of pump they have and and recommend. Don't know if I should go "pond" pump, or "sump" pump, or what?? Do I have to keep something running in it all the time, or just take the pump out and use it when I am ready to clean it out? Sorry, I am completely new to this.
    Can these pumps be attached to a hose that I can place in the middle of the lawn, garden, or tree wells that are slightly uphill from the pool? I can't be hauling bucket after bucket every time I clean this thing out.
    Right now, we are siphoning the water out downhill until it gets empty and then with a couple people, we can lift it and spray out the gunk on the bottom. We have not dug a hole yet to place it below ground. All the water is not being utilized where I want it to be.

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    sump pump with a hose attached would be the fastest way. You could just pump it directly into your garden to fertilize your veggies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by