Duck pool

Musolff2015

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
What does everyone have set up? We dug a hole and had a 5ft kiddy pool in it with an in ground drain. I just found the hard way that it wouldnt drain and ended up just saying screw it for tonight and filled the hole with water. I obviously will need to do something to keep it clean. If I was in the country I would just do a man made pond but its city limits. I've heard pond filters can clog really bad and from what I've saw with homeade filters and large pond filters they are pricey. Anyone have set ups that are easy on the wallet. It doesnt have to be crystal clean I just want them to have "clean" water to wash up and swim in. I should also mention that we have a clay ground

We use these concrete mixing tubs from home depot. I clean them by scooping out buckets full of dirty water & dump them on my plants. They're light enough that you could just tip it up & pour it out if you didn't want to reuse the water, but these things are STURDY. I went through a dozen kiddie pools before I found these & I'll never go back to those cheap flimsy things.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

We use these concrete mixing tubs from home depot. I clean them by scooping out buckets full of dirty water & dump them on my plants. They're light enough that you could just tip it up & pour it out if you didn't want to reuse the water, but these things are STURDY. I went through a dozen kiddie pools before I found these & I'll never go back to those cheap flimsy things.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

...I should add that its been a couple years & I've never had to replace one of these.

If you want to be able to change the water without lifting a heavy pool full of water, you can make a siphon with your water hose. Just put the hose in the pool, turn it on for a few seconds, then turn it off and unscrew the end from your spicket. The water should drain. You can use the dirty water to water your plants or grass. I have a sump pump that I use to drain the water because it is faster. Then I can easily lift the pool to rinse out since it is empty. I just have a plastic kiddy pool from Walmart. I didn't buy my pump because my husband got it from his grandpa's house after he passed away. I Googled it and it doesn't look like they sell this exact one anymore, but it is a Water Dragon Submersible Utility Pump.

I did have the pool above ground before we built the coop but decided to dig it down for easier getting in and out as they could not figure out the ramp for the life of them. My original plan was to build a deck so I could just put the drain on the bottom of the pool and let it flow out. I think that's what I will have to do. I was dumping it to clean it but dumping a 5ft kiddie pool isnt exactly easy and my husbands head was exploding over the future water bill. I'm hoping with a bottom drain I can just drain the crud that sets on the bottom and refill. That was the purpose of the inground drain but the clay sunk into the rocks and I couldnt get it to drain until I completely dug up the pipe

What does everyone have set up? We dug a hole and had a 5ft kiddy pool in it with an in ground drain. I just found the hard way that it wouldnt drain and ended up just saying screw it for tonight and filled the hole with water. I obviously will need to do something to keep it clean. If I was in the country I would just do a man made pond but its city limits. I've heard pond filters can clog really bad and from what I've saw with homeade filters and large pond filters they are pricey. Anyone have set ups that are easy on the wallet. It doesnt have to be crystal clean I just want them to have "clean" water to wash up and swim in. I should also mention that we have a clay ground
We used to have a small (500-600 gallons) koi pond in the city. It would work for ducks if you just add a ramp or shallow steps. I dug down 3ft on one end and then stepped up as I came towards the front to create tiers. Digging down 3ft all tge way across would provide more water volume. We then raised the top an extra 18" with landscape timbers.

20160809_220301.jpg
20160815_210028.jpg

We used to have a small (500-600 gallons) koi pond in the city. It would work for ducks if you just add a ramp or shallow steps. I dug down 3ft on one end and then stepped up as I came towards the front to create tiers. Digging down 3ft all tge way across would provide more water volume. We then raised the top an extra 18" with landscape timbers.

View attachment 1898789 View attachment 1898790

Pretty! :love

Back
Top Bottom