Duck pooping yolk

ziggyzeigler

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
My duck hasn't layed an egg the past 3 days and has pooped several piles of yolk. Is she okay, what should I do to help her?

Sounds like she may have a vitamin deficiency. First, make sure you make available to her free choice, oyster shell. It ups the calcium that a is used when she makes the egg shell.

It also couldn't hurt to give her a vitamin drench. You can buy a bottle of Poultry Drench at you local Tractor Supply Store. It comes with a black dropper so you can put it in her water or I have for my serious needing vitamin ducks I have actually used the dropper to give them some directly.

What food do you feed her?

Sending you good thoughts, and do let me know how it goes!

My duck hasn't layed an egg the past 3 days and has pooped several piles of yolk. Is she okay, what should I do to help her?

This sounds like she's had an egg break inside of her, which is quite serious and can lead to egg yolk peritonitis (a deadly infection in the abdominal cavity). I would suggest taking her to a vet asap. If this is what is going on, she needs antibiotics right away.

The food I give her is waterfowl maintenance diet extruded floating. I checked this morning and an egg was in the nest but I'm going ahead and ordering the oyster shell and poultry drench just to make sure.

Any egg shell shards in her poop? Please please watch her and if she starts slowing down, or gets a far-away look in her eye, get her some veterinary care if at all possible. Otherwise I would start her on antibiotics. I have lost two ducks to e.y.p. I am convinced if we intervene in time, we can save them. But they don't show symptoms.

That said, I have seen a duck pass some yolk, and then just a membrane, no shell, so it was an egg without a shell and I monitored her closely - she is fine.

Any egg shell shards in her poop?  Please please watch her and if she starts slowing down, or gets a far-away look in her eye, get her some veterinary care if at all possible.  Otherwise I would start her on antibiotics.  I have lost two ducks to e.y.p.  I am convinced if we intervene in time, we can save them.  But they don't show symptoms.

That said, I have seen a duck pass some yolk, and then just a membrane, no shell, so it was an egg without a shell and I monitored her closely - she is fine.

I am defiantly keeping a close eye on her, nothing in her poop it all looks normal with no shell pieces in it. Thank you and everyone for the information and help.

Sounds like good news! Like Amiga said, don't let your guard down, but she may be ok now. Ducks are pretty resilient sometimes.

So my duck layed an egg last night however in the afternoon I saw yolk in her pen, I don't think the egg shells are breaking in her but their's just a failure to produce an egg shell.

Back
Top Bottom