Duck predator issue

Pammy05

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2022
Help please couple questions need answers! In pictures below the pekin(white duck) we lost last night!

(1) if only have 2 ducks and one is taken by predator(last night) what should we concern with for other duck?

(2) is our other 2 younger ducks (1 month old) too young to put in with our (3 month old) older Last duck of the 2 from first question?

(3) how to make the ducks safer?

Attachments

• E4ABD8E4-0CD4-4271-B125-B50042069F98.jpeg
    E4ABD8E4-0CD4-4271-B125-B50042069F98.jpeg
    952.7 KB · Views: 6
I'm sorry you lost one of your ducks to a predator last night. Are they kept in a secure pen and coop? You can let them meet and get use to each other through fencing it usually takes a little time for them to get use to each other but it will happen. If your older duck that is left is a drake then you will have to let them live side by side until the younger ducklings are older so the drake doesn't try and mate with them.

I'm sorry you lost one of your ducks to a predator last night. Are they kept in a secure pen and coop? You can let them meet and get use to each other through fencing it usually takes a little time for them to get use to each other but it will happen. If your older duck that is left is a drake then you will have to let them live side by side until the younger ducklings are older so the drake doesn't try and mate with them.
They have a coop and pen but they were free ranging at the time! It was still daylight out when he was taken! They get put in the pen when it starts to get dark and then put in coop when bedtime! The Rouen is female!

Bad enough predators come out at night to take our ducks but really sad when they come in the day light. Very sorry.
Let us know how it goes but Introducing through fencing has always been the best way to introduce newbies to older ducks [poultry]

Anytime ducks are left to free range they are at risk for their safety. I have even read where people were with their ducks and one would get taken away by an owl just feet from them. A secure pen with a strong netting over top is the only way to prevent this and to keep them safe. Good luck with yours so that you don't lose anymore.

Back
Top Bottom