Duck problem - Help!

Sylverfly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Northeastern Michigan
I posted in the emergency section and have got no help so far, so I'm posting here.

My other ducks won’t allow one of the other ducks to sleep with them or even get under the brooder lamp its cold and peeping loudly and the others are still not allowing it under the lamp. What should I do, why would they be doing this? Help!

Can you put some kind of divider in the brooder and put the lonely duck and one other on one side and the rest of the ducks on the other side? Make sure they can all get heat from the heat lamp.
Also put a stuffed animal in with Mr. Cold Peeper-that will help.

Depending on their age and the temperature- you could just try raising up the height of the lamp so the heat is spread over a wider area- allowing the lone duckling to stay warm as well. Just watch that by raising the lamp- the whole brooder does not end up too cold for all of them.

So my duckling spent a lonely night alone in a new brooder I tried putting him back in with the other ducklings once they were all up and running around and they all seem fine now. He was snuggled in with a few of the others already (all have to watch and see what happens when they all are in a pile). Thanks for all the advice everyone. I’m not sure what was going on last night with him he is one of the smaller ducklings and is a little on the thin side so maybe it’s a survival of the fittest thing happening.

I had a duckling that did not seem to be thriving as well as the others, so I spent a little extra TLC time with her, and made sure she got some vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics (had a little mug, and held her in my lap and let her drink from it). She perked right up.

Back
Top Bottom