Duck problem, please help!

Happy Qwackers

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
I have recently found my usually healthy Apple yard duck hobbling around, she stands for a few seconds then just collapses on the floor, I took her to the vet who looked about 12 as they do nowadays, who thought she had just jarred her foot and gave me some pain killers and a large bill too. A week later my duck is having to be carried around to eat drink go to bed and have a bath, her foot curls up and she is making a strange gasping on occasions, she is eating very little, I have checked her wings, feet and body and see no signs of injury, no swelling, heat, willk take her to another vet for 2nd opinion, but if anyone has any ideas..... Thanks, Karen.x

gasping can be something trap in the airway or even as severe as gape worm or respritory infection. Treatment of course is very different for the three, and would warrant a vet visit if you arent comfortable in self treatment/diagnosis. Confinement to keep her quiet and reduce stress on her over all would be a good start. if you are comfortable handling her, open her bill and shone a light down looking into her throat. Look for a foreign object or worms.

Quote:

She could have some kind of infection, like egg yolk peritonitis, or a parasite problem. My gut is that it is an infection, but that is just a guess.

Back
Top Bottom