Duck Problem with Two Flocks

jtn42248

Crowing
7 Years
I have two flocks of ducks. One group of 5 adults (3 females 2 males) that are about 6 months old. They were my first flock. The second flock is 17 Cayugas (3 males 14 females) that are now about 2.5 months old. They each have their own coop a shared run and a shared range. They were doing very well at sharing and had even begun to merge the two flocks when suddenly, a couple of days ago, the adult Khaki Campbell attacked the larger of the Cayuga males. This was no simple pecking order sort of attack but was with intent to kill. I managed to get them apart and he Cayuga male has a very noticeable limp and one of his wings now droops down, almost like angel wing but not.

I now have separated them to not share the run or the range at the same time thinking that we need another month or so for the Cayugas to mature and be able to better defend themselves.

I need some experienced advice/suggestions. Have I done the right thing? Will they eventually be able to share space again without killing each other?

I plan to breed the Cayugas so keeping them separate from the other ducks will be in the picture for the long haul. I can divide the range so that both flocks can be out at the same time but can not get to each other...which is probably the best thing.

Any other suggestions will be much appreciated.

This will be hard to keep 2 males or 4 males in the same coop. I would remove all males but 1, Drakes can be very aggressive during the mating season. You want a calm mellow male duck, get rid of the aggressive ones or they may really hurt the females during the mating season. You could just limit all contact between the males, but that would be very hard... I know you don't want to hear this, but I think you should get rid of them all except one, they will not be happy if you keep them all in the same coop.

Back
Top Bottom