Duck Protein

Jennadunnn

Hatching
Jun 1, 2021
Hi so I have 2 ducklings, i’ve had them for about a week and they are about 1 1/2 weeks old. Right now I’m feeding them 22% protein starter feed but I know after two weeks they have to have less protein. I have oats and I was wondering how much oats to feed I should add to get it down to 16-17% I also have 16% feed but would like to use up the rest of the 22% first. Please help!!

Last I checked, Oats were about 9% protein, and around 4.5% fat. So 3 parts of your 22% feed, 1 part Oats is around 18.75% protein, and shouldn't bring the fat content up too much. 3 parts 22% feed mix, 2 parts oats is 16.8% protein, and a little more fat.

Last I checked, Oats were about 9% protein, and around 4.5% fat. So 3 parts of your 22% feed, 1 part Oats is around 18.75% protein, and shouldn't bring the fat content up too much. 3 parts 22% feed mix, 2 parts oats is 16.8% protein, and a little more fat
Last I checked, Oats were about 9% protein, and around 4.5% fat. So 3 parts of your 22% feed, 1 part Oats is around 18.75% protein, and shouldn't bring the fat content up too much. 3 parts 22% feed mix, 2 parts oats is 16.8% protein, and a little more fat.
Is there a way to get the fat content down? or is 3 parts feed, 2 parts oats okay?

What's the fat content in your current feed? and what is your target??

I've seen duck diet recommendations with fat contents up to 5% - in which case, add as much Oats as your want, since they have less than 5% fat, typically. The various "all flock" and "flock raiser" feeds run 2.5% (Nutrena All Flock) to 3.25% (Kalmback 20% Protein Flock Maker) to 3.5% (Purina Flock Raiser). For comparison, both Purina and Nutrena have less fat in their "dedicated duck" feeds. 2.3 and 2.7%, respectively. Even mixed 3:2, you would be under 4% fat with the Purina Flock maker, which I consider acceptable - BUT ***I have made no study of duck dietary needs, apart from Niacin, EVEN THOUGH I raise ducks***

My ducks end up on my table, none live long enough for me to be terribly worried about fatty liver, and I'm not making foie gras. My layers get 18 months, the boys get 3.

My feed attention is more on my chickens.

Just so you are aware that I lack for expertise on this subject.

Last edited:
How much oats would I put into 18% feed to get it down to 16%

Back
Top Bottom