Duck Quarantine Question

scooterward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Lenoir City, TN
I am looking for a new buddy for my three year old Cayuga, Gabrielle. I was just on the chicken section (we have chickens too) and was reading about quarantining new chickens for a month before integrating them to the flock. Do I need to do this with a new-to-us duck??

well, with any bird if you didn't hatch it , and it's not from your stock, I don't know about a month, but i'd keep it separate from my flock for a couple weeks just to make sure it doesn't have an illness that can spread to the others. If I buy ducklings i keep them separate..but then i would do that anyhow because it takes a couple months before they're ready to intermingle with the grown ups. I would never buy a duck, grown or otherwise from somewhere else and put it in your stock..you could be asking for trouble.

I think a couple weeks too, ducks are basically very healthy but if you don't know the folks your getting them from and how they keep their flock it's always best to use caution. after a few weeks begin slowly to introduce use some kind of fencing between the 2 groups so they can meet but not touch. It will take a little time but they will become friends. My flock of ducks/chickens and 2 geese free range, it's always a risk when doing so because of predators but I couldn't imagine confining my flock they love their freedom. We are getting ready to put up more fencing so they will have better protection during the day at night they are all locked up tight.

Ok, I am going back to this topic again because I am picking up a duck in the morning. So very exciting. Her name is Dot and she is an Ancona. She is three years old like my Cayuga Gabrielle is.

To quarantine Dot, I am going to have her stay in a separate area than Gabrielle but they will be able to see each other.

I need to know about logistics - How long will I have to keep Dot in her own house before she knows that that is her house now (well until she moves in with Gabrielle)? How do I free range Dot but keep her from Gabrielle and the chickens? Once I do the official in-duck human supervised meeting, can they both be together in the same pen or do I have to do that over a couple of days?

Thanks! I look forward to getting everyone's information - I want to make sure I do this correctly.

Just saw on your other post that you found a friend! Where did you find your new duckie? I would consider that when deciding on the quarantine. If she came from a place that you trust, then I would not bother (this is purely my opinion, others may disagree). If it is questionable, then I'd keep them totally separate for a few weeks. You'd probably have to build a makeshift pen to keep her in at first, one that the other duck cannot get to. Then maybe move the pen whenever you want to introduce them and allow them to meet through the fencing for a day or two, then I would just go for it by letting them work it out. Females will be easier than males to introduce, and they will do all the posturing, and dominance stuff, but it generally does not get nasty. Good luck, happy for both of you!

The thing about quarantine is they need to be completely separated, like not sharing air, or you may as well just roll the dice and start introducing them. If they can see one another then they can pass airborne illness and mites etc.. back and forth. This is just my opinion and others may disagree but it is one of those things that you need to do right or you are just adding headache without any result.

Sorry to hear it fell through. I too had a lone Cayuga ,they are a hard breed to find, and finally broke down and just ordered 2 Cayuga ducklings. Then we had a dog attack and we lost the whole trio. Now I settled for random feed store ducks so they will probably live forever :)

The thing about quarantine is they need to be completely separated, like not sharing air, or you may as well just roll the dice and start introducing them. If they can see one another then they can pass airborne illness and mites etc.. back and forth. This is just my opinion and others may disagree but it is one of those things that you need to do right or you are just adding headache without any result.
Exactly what I was going to say. Also, when you are introducing them, I'd have them in an area where they can see each other, i.e. separated by chicken wire or something, but can't get to the other one. for a few days. It seems to make the process easier. It's what I always do when adding a new one. Best of luck finding her a friend! :)

Back
Top Bottom