Duck question and need answer

BlueBaby

Chick hatching addict.
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Someplace near Phoenix, Arizona
I hatched some Welsh Harlequin ducklings for my next door neighbor about 2 week's ago. I ended up with 2 females and 1 female. Right now the duckling's have been separated with some chick's that I had also hatched for them. They already have 3 Welsh Harlequin adult duck's being of 2 drakes and one hen. My question is when do you start letting or introducing these 2 groups, and will the 2 drakes attack the younger ones?

The drakes will very likely try to breed the younger ducks. I would not introduce them to the drakes until they were full sized.

Ok, I will let my neighbor know that, and how old shall they have to be at that time? I don't raise duck's. I only hatched the duckling's for them to help them get more females.

Ok, I will let my neighbor know that, and how old shall they have to be at that time? I don't raise duck's. I only hatched the duckling's for them to help them get more females.
Ducks reach sexual maturity at around 16-24 weeks of age, but they start mating at around 12 weeks, so they could start introducing them around then and monitor how they do.

Ducks reach sexual maturity at around 16-24 weeks of age, but they start mating at around 12 weeks, so they could start introducing them around then and monitor how they do.
Ok, thanks for your help with this. It helps to know at what age to do this, so that things will go more smoothly.

Every breed is different I guess, Having Mscovy for so long and no other breed I was used to them starting around 9 months old with mating then egg laying a few weeks later. When my Runners and Buffs started mating at 4 months I was pretty surprised.
Oh I see. I guess it just depends. Obviously they can't make babies that young but they do play around I can tell.

Back
Top Bottom