Duck Question...

DuckDuckPromise

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 4, 2021
Hi there! First of all, I am praying that I’m an overly concerned Ducky parent. I have been noticing that one of our Pekin girls is acting a little bit odd. When I let them out of their coop to go play and forage, one of them lays down more often than the rest. PRAISE THE LORD, she is still eating great and drinking! She lays down frequently though. She has what almost looks like a limp, but it’s not super bad. I picked her up and looked her foot over, and thankfully didn’t see anything, but that’s not to say I didn’t miss anything. What are y’all’s thoughts?! Praying she’s okay, we just wanted some opinions!

Pekin are more prone to leg issues. So it is possible that it is a simple sprain or something like that. This just requires some rest and swim therapy. If you feel one le swollen, and warmer, you can use an epsom salt compress to help with inflammation. It usually heals pretty quickly, but the extra weight on Pekin make it take a bit longer.

Pekin also require more naicin than other breeds and can even require extra as adults. You may need to give her some extra naicin. The best way to treat this is vitamin b complex. It cant hurt to give it to her either way. TSC sells it in an injectable form, but I just give 1ml orally. This is what I use below.

PXL_20210913_025713315.jpg

A video would be the best way of determining what is going on. But it doesn't sound like anything serious if she is eating and drinking.

can you weigh her? pekin and jumbo pekin are hard to tell apart but if she is a jumbo pekin your gonna need to change her care a bit to keep her happy/healthy

i have two jumbo pekin boys, and they can definitely live long happy lives unlike a lot of people say. my boys will be 3 this march! but you do need to feed them a good quality duck feed with extra niacin, limit how much they eat, make sure they get exercise, and more

How old is she? What is she eating? Is she laying eggs yet?

She may have a minor leg injury. Whenever that happens with my ducks my vets recommend crate rest. Basically I put a crate inside the barn where the ducks sleep and one outside in the aviary and then carry the duck in and out in the morning and evening. I keep soft substrate in both.

She could also be cold if you live in a cold area.

I have had this happen twice, where my ducks were behaving normally but foraging in a resting "sitting" position occasionally. I took them to the doctor for x-rays. One had arthritis. The other is preparing to become reproductively active for the year.

Pekin are more prone to leg issues. So it is possible that it is a simple sprain or something like that. This just requires some rest and swim therapy. If you feel one le swollen, and warmer, you can use an epsom salt compress to help with inflammation. It usually heals pretty quickly, but the extra weight on Pekin make it take a bit longer.

Pekin also require more naicin than other breeds and can even require extra as adults. You may need to give her some extra naicin. The best way to treat this is vitamin b complex. It cant hurt to give it to her either way. TSC sells it in an injectable form, but I just give 1ml orally. This is what I use below.

View attachment 2973835

A video would be the best way of determining what is going on. But it doesn't sound like anything serious if she is eating and drinking.
Thank you so much!!! I take it this isn’t a put it in her water and let her drink it, but more of a hold her and syringe it into her mouth, correct?

Thank you so much!!! I take it this isn’t a put it in her water and let her drink it, but more of a hold her and syringe it into her mouth, correct?
For the vitamin b complex, you can do it a couple ways. Some people like to put it on a tasty treat. I prefer to give my ducks drugs with a syringe, but not everyone is as comfortable with.

Here is a link how to give oral medication.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

can you weigh her? pekin and jumbo pekin are hard to tell apart but if she is a jumbo pekin your gonna need to change her care a bit to keep her happy/healthy

i have two jumbo pekin boys, and they can definitely live long happy lives unlike a lot of people say. my boys will be 3 this march! but you do need to feed them a good quality duck feed with extra niacin, limit how much they eat, make sure they get exercise, and more
The image I got of me trying to weigh this duck 😳 I do know that they are quite huge, and that my sister has Pekins and outs are seemingly 2-3x the size of hers... even our females are bigger than all of hers. They said we must have fed them Miracle gro as ducklings! I didn’t know a Jumbo Pekin was even a thing!! That would explain so much if they are!! Thank you for all of the help, Lord’s Willing, we will try those things and see if anything changes! I’m happy that your boys are doing well, my Duckies have a March birthday as well!! (Just like me! 😊)

For the vitamin b complex, you can do it a couple ways. Some people like to put it on a tasty treat. I prefer to give my ducks drugs with a syringe, but not everyone is as comfortable with.

Here is a link how to give oral medication.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Videos are my friend. 😊❤️ Thank you so much!!! When I picked her up to check her, she wasn’t thrilled about it, so I don’t know how she would react..

How old is she? What is she eating? Is she laying eggs yet?

She may have a minor leg injury. Whenever that happens with my ducks my vets recommend crate rest. Basically I put a crate inside the barn where the ducks sleep and one outside in the aviary and then carry the duck in and out in the morning and evening. I keep soft substrate in both.

She could also be cold if you live in a cold area.

I have had this happen twice, where my ducks were behaving normally but foraging in a resting "sitting" position occasionally. I took them to the doctor for x-rays. One had arthritis. The other is preparing to become reproductively active for the year.
Okay, lemme see
1.) Lord’s Willing, she will be one year old in March
2.) she has been eating a mix of layer pellets that the chickens eat, and duck specific pellets, and sometimes a scoop full of cracked corn (not for nutrition, but for cold weather and she like it... 🙄😊) Plus whatever bugs/grasses she forages up during playtime (when the get out during the day) and whatever treats we give (minnows, Cheerios, etc.. but not all the same day)
3.) Yes, she’s a good little layer!!! 😊

I pray that is all that is happening!!! I’m so thankful she’s doing normal outside of the “sitting” thing!! Glad your duckies were okay too!!!

Okay, lemme see
1.) Lord’s Willing, she will be one year old in March
2.) she has been eating a mix of layer pellets that the chickens eat, and duck specific pellets, and sometimes a scoop full of cracked corn (not for nutrition, but for cold weather and she like it... 🙄😊) Plus whatever bugs/grasses she forages up during playtime (when the get out during the day) and whatever treats we give (minnows, Cheerios, etc.. but not all the same day)
3.) Yes, she’s a good little layer!!! 😊

I pray that is all that is happening!!! I’m so thankful she’s doing normal outside of the “sitting” thing!! Glad your duckies were okay too!!!
Thanks for answering my questions!

If you have an avian vet in your area and the finances available you could take her in. It would not be an emergency - in my opinion, just a precaution. I did it recently and it cost me about $750 for the exam, blood work, x-rays, and pain medication. I'm glad I did it because I found out that my duck doesn't have any structural problems with her hips, no arthritis, that her kidneys are fine, ect.

It sounds like she's got a pretty good diet. Do you have oyster shells available free choice? Since she's probably a jumbo pekin I recommend being extra careful with her legs by giving her lots of soft bedding. You can also get them off their feet by allowing them to swim in water deep enough that they can float in.

You can assess her weight by feeling the breast on either side of her keel bone. If it is bulging, she's probably overweight and that might be contributing to her difficulties. Just looking at her isn't a good indicator because the feathers are so fluffy and cover up so much!

8094EF75-9C6D-4715-9EB5-17247F0C85E7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom