1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RubberChickenLubber, Mar 8, 2008.

1. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I have 3 pekin ducks. Is newpapaper ok to put them on, or is it too slick. Right now I have them on an old handtowel, but it needs to be changed.

2. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I would say too slick and not very absorbant. Don't know their age,but I put down a layer of shavings and cover with paper towels.

3. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I had shavings under the towel, but they dug them out and ate them. So I took all the shavings out, and just put the towel in. Did this last night, and it's filthy already.

4. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

For my first week, I used old T shirts that my husband was going to throw out d/t armpit stains. I figured, let them get one last use before I pitch them in the trash.

Just cut the Tshirt into pieces the size of your brooder floor and pitch when they get yucky, About every other day. I would go out twice a day and remove the dried turds with kleenex when I could. I just used newspaper underneath the Tshirts, and a week later switched them to shavings.

So far, out of the 4, then 8, then 10 chicks I've bought in the last 30 days they've done just fine. I ran out of T shirts so I switched to paper towels.

Y'all weren't kidding when you said you'd want more chickens than you thought!

[​IMG]

Teddi

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Rip or cut the newspapers in strips. As they move around the paper covers their poops. It's better footing too. We use old towels and just keep washing them.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I have horses and the plastic woven feed bags that the horse's come it work great. And I have tons of them. So I use one till gets dirty then start witha new.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I went to the thrift store and bought a couple huge sacks of towels for a few dollars each. These are the Duck Towels for when we have babies or a sick duck in the bathroom. I got enough to cover the whole bathroom floor 3 times. I just toss them in the washer daily and toss them out when they get worn out or just too stained to allow in the house.

Newspaper is way too slick and even shredded can cause spraddle leg.

Oh and if you have ducklings, we need PICS! [​IMG]

8. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I posted pics in another thread, but here they are again

[​IMG]

9. RubberChickenLubber

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    BTW Terri, how old are they before you know the sex?

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    When they start quacking, I could tell. Sometimes if I happen to have a male and female duckling, I can sometimes tell by the peeping, but not often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by