Duck question

I would say too slick and not very absorbant. Don't know their age,but I put down a layer of shavings and cover with paper towels.

I had shavings under the towel, but they dug them out and ate them. So I took all the shavings out, and just put the towel in. Did this last night, and it's filthy already.

For my first week, I used old T shirts that my husband was going to throw out d/t armpit stains. I figured, let them get one last use before I pitch them in the trash.

Just cut the Tshirt into pieces the size of your brooder floor and pitch when they get yucky, About every other day. I would go out twice a day and remove the dried turds with kleenex when I could. I just used newspaper underneath the Tshirts, and a week later switched them to shavings.

So far, out of the 4, then 8, then 10 chicks I've bought in the last 30 days they've done just fine. I ran out of T shirts so I switched to paper towels.

Y'all weren't kidding when you said you'd want more chickens than you thought!

smile.png

Teddi

Rip or cut the newspapers in strips. As they move around the paper covers their poops. It's better footing too. We use old towels and just keep washing them.

I have horses and the plastic woven feed bags that the horse's come it work great. And I have tons of them. So I use one till gets dirty then start witha new.

I went to the thrift store and bought a couple huge sacks of towels for a few dollars each. These are the Duck Towels for when we have babies or a sick duck in the bathroom. I got enough to cover the whole bathroom floor 3 times. I just toss them in the washer daily and toss them out when they get worn out or just too stained to allow in the house.

Newspaper is way too slick and even shredded can cause spraddle leg.

Oh and if you have ducklings, we need PICS!
big_smile.png

When they start quacking, I could tell. Sometimes if I happen to have a male and female duckling, I can sometimes tell by the peeping, but not often.

Back
Top Bottom