Duck questions

Thank you katharinad.

Will the ducks be able to eat out the chicken feeder, or will not be able to fit their beaks in there?

Last edited:
Mine just get a dog food bowl, but I don't have chicken. Be prepared for a real mess. They like to mix their food with water. This also means they load up their bill with food, walk over to the water bowl, loose half the load onto the floor, and drop the rest into the water. Then they load up their bills with water, walk back to the food, drip half of it onto the floor and the rest goes into the food. Next they poo on top of everything that is one the ground and make a freaking mess. Then they go mudding in it if you have dirt floors and it gets wet enough. My ducks have a kiddie pool for swimming outdoors. In winter they get a concrete mixing bin every other day, again outside. No swimming in the duck house. Period! Be aware the chickens cannot swim and will drown in the pools. Make sure they have a way of getting out. A concrete block may be all that is needed. Best to keep ducks and chicken apart in the coop. I would suggest to divide the coop with chicken wire.

* Would it be okay to put my ducks in with my hens? They are in a 6x6 shed and allowed access to the outside which is a large area. I currently have 3 Warrens (soon to have 4).
From what I have heard, it should be okay, but not ideal, ducks are messy, loud and almost the complete opposite from chickens, so it would be best to separate them, so the chickens do not have to deal with the mess that the ducks made!

* I've been doing research on duck breeds and found out that Runner Duck & Khaki Cambells are the best laying breeds, is this true?
not sure about this one though!

* Would an inflatable paddling pool be okay for the chickens to swim in or will they pop it? i was thinking something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p … 3EPOOL.htm
Chickens don't gernally swim, but I don't think they would pop it either, but the ducks may, they get a little wild while they are in the water, the link wouldn't load for me so I'm not sure excatly what it looks like, but you shouldn't have any problem with the chickens, and the wading pool, except that the chickens pen will get soaked the water will have to be changed every day- every other day...

* What equipment do i need?
To raise the duckling: we used a wading pool, and a lamp with a reflector, and hay for the bottom of the pool, feed (waterfowl starter isamprolium medicated chick starter is okay, any other medication IS NOT), also snacks are nice to have on hand, as a general rule nothing to sweet, or sugary or high in fat, My ducklings loved tomatoes (cubed), a waterer i would suggest investing in a gallon waterer, I bought quart, but it had to be refilled, two-three times daily... but whatever you think.

* If the ducks can go in with my hens, will the coop need to be changed or something added to it to accommodate them?
Not really, although you will have to find a way too minimize the water mess..

hope this helps!
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you, great/helpful post!

Quote:
Quote:
Lol, i have just realized what i put on my original post about chickens swimming.
Corrected now, i meant ducks
hide.gif

Khaki Campbells and Runners are great layers and lousy setters as someone posted earlier. Welsh Harlequins lay like crazy AND will brood their own young.

Back
Top Bottom