Duck Questions?

NCBantam22

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Which is better for feeding ducklings, Purina Start N Grow or Flock Raiser?
Do ducklings need niacin 24/7 or just when an accident happens?
Is niacin ok for chicks?
I would like a breed(s) that is....
Friendly
Not Very Messy
Good Egg Production

Which is better for feeding ducklings, Purina Start N Grow or Flock Raiser?
Do ducklings need niacin 24/7 or just when an accident happens?
Is niacin ok for chicks?
I would like a breed(s) that is....
Friendly
Not Very Messy
Good Egg Production
Not very messy? maybe a rubber ducky?? lol

I feed Flock Raiser from hatch till end of their lives and it must work pretty good I have 3 going on 10yrs old.
smile.png
get crumble though for ducklings, and depending on circumstances FR may be all they need, what I mean is ducklings raised with mama duck are usually out on the ground at 3 days old and seem to not need the extra niacin that brooder raised ducklings do, So if raised in a brooder and not out on the ground often then I'd supplement with either "Plain Niacin"in their water or Brewers yeast sprinkled over feed daily till 10-12 weeks old.

All ducks are messy they just love to play in water and make mud pies. it's just natural since they are Water fowl. so I'm not sure if you can find a non messy duck or not even a breed not very messy.

Good egg production is quite a few breeds, KC, Pekin, Runners, Hybrids and many others. Best to do research over winter then you'll be ready to order come spring.

I have Muscovy's they are a friendly breed but large seasonal layers and Very Messy. I'm sure others will tell you about their breed which should help you decide which breed is for you.

Last edited:
Not very messy? maybe a rubber ducky?? lol

Compared to my kids, my ducks are neat freaks!!!
tongue.png

I love my khakis. Small, good foragers, nice personality, great layers.

I have appleyards too, but only drakes right now. The ducks will come in the spring. They are big and goofy and silly, and oddly flatulent.

Compared to my kids, my ducks are neat freaks!!!
tongue.png

I love my khakis. Small, good foragers, nice personality, great layers.

I have appleyards too, but only drakes right now. The ducks will come in the spring. They are big and goofy and silly, and oddly flatulent.
Oops for got about kids since it's been many a year since I had any. lol

Back
Top Bottom