''Duck rape''

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jessica89, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    I have two drakes and two females.. I know this is a problem but they are pets and I cant sell the drakes.
    Every morning, one drake mounts another female and she always looks so unhappy.. her head goes under the water and it really upsets me!

The other drake doesn't interfere though and get on top too... Is there a risk of her drowning??? My poor little girl!

I cant believe Roy.. the dirty duck!
    :(

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Sounds like pretty common mating behavior to me. :p

Sadly, this is often what happens in a mixed flock. If both drakes are going after just one of the females, that's a problem and you may have to separate them for the time being. Even just a 1:1 ratio is pushing it, but if they've paired off they can still overbreed the females sometimes.

Are you there all the time to supervise and keep them from fighting or overmating the girls? If not, you may need to pen 'em away from one another until the season passes.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    That is normal duck breeding. However if they keep ganging up on her you really need to consider getting more females or separating the males from the females.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The same attachment that makes you unwilling to part with them needs to factor into taking appropriate steps to provide safe living for these ducks you love. This may mean you re-work your setup so that your males and females are housed separately or it may mean that you need to increase your flock size by adding additional female ducks.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Thanks for the replies.
    Luckily they arnt both ganging up on her but just the one male wont leave her alone.
    I will buy some more female ducks and then make a separate enclosure in the spring.
    It's a shame their mating behavior is so horrible and cruel. :( They have always been such good pals too.
    It's really strange because Roy is attached to Sybil.. if i take Sybil for a cuddle,, Roy comes running after me, quacking.
    But, he doesnt try mating with her... he has taken a liking to Hattie?

6. jkdubs2

jkdubs2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    Jefferson County
    My guess is Roy is top duck and doesn't like you taking one of his gals.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    That'd be my guess, too. In all duck flocks there's a "top duck". Wobbles thinks he's ours. It's hilarious watching a thing the size of a pigeon lower his head and charge at our 21-pound cat and my 210-pound husband!

8. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Awww! Haha.. that is kind of sweet!
    I picked her up today for a cuddle and he was following me around making sure I didn't hurt her!

He is still pestering Hattie though so when weather is warmer, we are going to have to separate them :(

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would not wait if the duck is getting too much mating attention. It really can make them ill, injured, or worst case, it can be fatal.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    I am getting another two female ducks this weekend!
    Will that give Hattie a bit of a break??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by