Zolamarie

Songster
6 Years
Nov 25, 2017
Richmond VA, USA
Hey y’all, I hope you are having a good day!:frow

I’m going to build a small duck run this weekend and can’t figure out what to line the floor with. The run I have right now is just a fenced in area with a dirt floor... or should I say mud floor! :sickIt is sooo gross and I keep cleaning it out but I can’t seem to keep the mud and poo at bay. When I build my new run, I want to put something down so it won’t be quite as muddy and just nasty. I use the deep litter method in the coop with pine shavings which is awesome, but I can’t put them outside because if it rains they never dry out! I was thinking of using rice hulls, but I’d like to know what y’all think I should use.
Oh BTW my new run will be 6x12 with a coop attached. I won’t have a pool inside the run, but they will come outside to swim and play outside of their run at leas a couple hours every day.

Hey y’all, I hope you are having a good day!:frow

I’m going to build a small duck run this weekend and can’t figure out what to line the floor with. The run I have right now is just a fenced in area with a dirt floor... or should I say mud floor! :sickIt is sooo gross and I keep cleaning it out but I can’t seem to keep the mud and poo at bay. When I build my new run, I want to put something down so it won’t be quite as muddy and just nasty. I use the deep litter method in the coop with pine shavings which is awesome, but I can’t put them outside because if it rains they never dry out! I was thinking of using rice hulls, but I’d like to know what y’all think I should use.
Oh BTW my new run will be 6x12 with a coop attached. I won’t have a pool inside the run, but they will come outside to swim and play outside of their run at leas a couple hours every day.
Hello, I am also new to all of this but i have read that sand works well for a run floor. I am having the same issue with my run and my ducks pond is inside their run. I am debating on spreading sand inside the run for them to walk on so it will not be as bad in their run.

Hello, I am also new to all of this but i have read that sand works well for a run floor. I am having the same issue with my run and my ducks pond is inside their run. I am debating on spreading sand inside the run for them to walk on so it will not be as bad in their run.
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve heard that sand is good. I just wonder how well it does in rain. Good luck on your run!

If I end up using sand I’ll let you know how it goes! I was told sand will turn into almost a concrete surface and will keep from getting muddy, but still soft on ducks feet. I just put sand in my shed for nighttime but I don’t have enough for the outdoor run.

@CarleeAnn @Runnerducks1 @blayt90 Hey y’all, i’ve been looking on google for info on sand for duck pens. I found this blog post explaining why not to use it. They’re talking about for a chicken run, but the reasons they gave would be the same for ducks. It makes sense to me. http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/07/the-real-scoop-on-using-sand-in-your.html?m=1

That was an interesting read for sure! Thanks for sharing.

I definetly would not recommend sand in the brooder for ducklings- and I didn’t really think about how hot it could get outside. I figure sand in my shed with adult ducks isn’t too bad- plenty of other do it successfully- but outside would be a different story. My run outdoors is a covered run, so a little different than circumstances discussed- but I think we may try river stones! Although if not covered I imagine would be just as hot on their feet (but again, mine is covered so shouldn’t be a problem).

Best of luck everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom