Duck ruptured air sac?

sicangu

Hatching
Apr 10, 2023
I need some expertise here. My first year keeping ducks and I have separated this hen from the rest of the flock when I noticed she was getting over mated. I researched online and it appears to be a ruptured air sac? I attempted to reduce the swelling by applying anti-inflammatory cream and reduce the air sac by drawing it out with a syringe. However, there was blood that was drawn out and this helped reduce the swelling but only for that day. Any possible suggestions? Thank you!

Attachments

• B66363A1-BCD4-4307-B3E7-53120E0663AE.jpeg
    B66363A1-BCD4-4307-B3E7-53120E0663AE.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 35
  • B2939DB9-AB29-4BEC-AC36-688E9C5BC857.jpeg
    B2939DB9-AB29-4BEC-AC36-688E9C5BC857.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to BYC. I am not very familiar with ducks, but it sounds more like a seroma or a hematoma. It may continue to bleed if there is a damaged blood vessel. This might be something better treated by a vet or farm vet. Was the fluid thin and blood colored, or as thick as blood? Was it bright red or darker red? I will tag @Miss Lydia and @Isaac 0 for more thoughts.

Welcome to BYC. I am not very familiar with ducks, but it sounds more like a seroma or a hematoma. It may continue to bleed if there is a damaged blood vessel. This might be something better treated by a vet or farm vet. Was the fluid thin and blood colored, or as thick as blood? Was it bright red or darker red? I will tag @Miss Lydia and @Isaac 0 for more thoughts.
It feels like a half inflated balloon. The fluid was thin and blood colored. The color was also bright red. Thank you!

How's the duck today?
sorry, I have had internet problems and am just now getting back on.

I have never had any experience with this sort of thing so I am no help. I did see quite a bit of info online though.

How's the duck today?
sorry, I have had internet problems and am just now getting back on.

I have never had any experience with this sort of thing so I am no help. I did see quite a bit of info online though.
Thank you for your reply! It seems to have gone down on one side but the other side of the head is still inflated.

I need some expertise here. My first year keeping ducks and I have separated this hen from the rest of the flock when I noticed she was getting over mated. I researched online and it appears to be a ruptured air sac? I attempted to reduce the swelling by applying anti-inflammatory cream and reduce the air sac by drawing it out with a syringe. However, there was blood that was drawn out and this helped reduce the swelling but only for that day. Any possible suggestions? Thank you!
What do you mean by "air sac"
Can you get better photos?

It may be an abscess they can be hard. Is a vet an option? You might try some nice warm Epsom salt compresses a few times a day to see if that draws the pus to the surface. But if it's an abscess it may need to be lanced and being that close to the eye I don't think it's a job for us novices.

Back
Top Bottom