Duck Seizure or Her Neck Went Limp? Not Sure What Happened!

marxrab

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
I was outside today sitting with my ducks just relaxing and enjoying watching them when I saw my 2 year old Black Swedish Smokey struggling in her kiddie pool. At first I thought she was having a seizure and I was afraid she would drown so I picked her up and put her on the ground. She was limp and she just laid there. After a few minutes she stood up and tried to hide from me and ended up laying down under a nearby car. I got under there and she got up and walked away from me again but we managed to catch her and put her in a dog cage we had.

She did the weird movements she did in the pool again and my husband saw it this second time and thought it was a seizure. After some research I don't know what it was. After watching videos of ducks having seizures I don't necessarily think it was one. She didn't twitch or jerk or have spasms. She was standing up tall and still but her neck was limp and her head was hanging. It was like she couldn't lift her head/neck and the only movements were her standing and struggling trying to get it up. Thinking of her in the pool it was the same thing but she was in water and struggling more because of it because she was drowning.

Right before this Smokey was very active. She got onto one of the other female ducks and was dominating her by biting at her neck and standing on top of her. She then went over to the pool and was swimming around when the weird limp neck thing happened. After putting her in the cage it took a few minutes but she was normal. She ate some treats and drank some water and seemed completely normal. I called the vet but they said since it was the first time they couldn't do much because she was eating/drinking and being normal. They said monitor her but don't bring her in unless it happens again.

I brought her into the house where I currently have 4 ducklings in a brooder and I put her in a pen to monitor her. She seemed fine but ticked off at me for doing that to her. She was agitated and kept nipping my fingers hard and quacking really loudly as if to say "let me out of here." She ate a little watermelon and drank water and no strange behaviors occurred after 5 hours so at 7:00 I took her out to the duck house and put her up for the nigh with the other ducks and she seemed calmer. She had dinner and seems normal. I've got a surveillance camera in there so I can keep an eye on her.

Anyone else seen this before? Google searches come up with botulism or poisoning when I look up a duck randomly having a limp neck. I just don't know. The vet wasn't any help and unless it happens again they won't do much. The only other info I have about this duck is my male doesn't mate her anymore. He doesn't go around her anymore. Her eggs are a different size so I can tell which are hers and none are fertile. Don't know if this says anything about her health or my male just doesn't like her.

Could you post a video? Upload your video to Youtube or Vimeo and then copy/paste the link here.
I tried but my phone didn't have space on it for a video. I deleted stuff but only got the last bit of her laying down and then getting up. She hasn't done it again. I'm keeping an eye on her and she seems fine. I would love to know what happened though.

All I can figure is she was biting the neck and dominating another female. Maybe she hurt her neck somehow? Or maybe my male hurt her neck and she hurt it more dominating the other female then had a neck spasm or something....IDK. It was weird. I don't think it was a seizure.

Update: It's now 2022 and it never happened again. Smokey is doing great and this never happened again. She's a healthy, happy duck.

Back
Top Bottom