Duck Shaking and Lunging at me

megamilez

Chirping
Apr 29, 2019
Hey guys,

So I read the other thread from several years back about this topic and there was a very mixed consensus as to the meaning of this action. I went out today to refresh the ducks pool water and give them some food. However, I noticed when I tried to hand feed them some lettuce I had brought with me, one of them vibrated its head for a few moments then lunged at me. I noticed it wasn't acting right (as this was the first time it has done this) and avoided it. It completely ignored the lettuce.

There was, however, a new variable that might have played a factor. My little niece (and other family) are in town and she wanted to see the ducks. So, when I think of it, I'm the only person who ever goes into the run. It seemed that my duck was mad at me for bringing someone else into it. The other one was acting totally normal the entire time.

What do you guys think? I had her leave and the duck continued to act like this for a while but seemed to calm down a bit after about 10 minutes and began to eat the lettuce.

Thoughts? It totally caught me off guard and kinda made me jump the first time lol.

My guess is if It's a male he's just being an azz.... if female maybe protecting a nest or something. Either way, if it were my duck, it would be getting a dinner invitation if this behavior continues. That is, assuming it is NOT a female on a nest. You don't want your little neice getting hurt.

My drake vibrates his head when he is happy and excited. Every time we come out with a snack for him, he does it. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen him mad before. So really I guess your duck could either be angry or just really excited.

My drake does that all the time (Muscovy), either to show his excitement (treat time or when we arrive home again) or when he's moody and protective of his females. He even went in full attack mode about 3 months ago (one of the females was sitting on a nest), leaving me all bruised up on my arms and legs, right up to my hips (his heavy wings doing most of the damage). He continued that behavior for about a week, and I came very close to make him my dinner, until he got to meet the pressurized water hose from close by. It was the last resort, but a very effective one. He didn't like that for one bit, and is since then much calmer. He'll still be an azz from time to time, ya know, typical hormonal drake behavior, but when he's taking it too far I now just have to POINT my finger to the hose and he stops mid track. :lol: Sometimes you need to show the drakes who's REALLY the top-dog, so to speak. :rolleyes:

Oh wow lol mine do this too, and it's actually usually just the hens that do it. I think it's adorable, and even if it means they're aggressive or whatever, I just give them cuddles bc it feels like they are trying to hug :lau

Back
Top Bottom