Duck sitting on eggs

Caeley McCarty

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2017
I have two ducks 1 male 1 female. I recently found a nest that she made with 16 eggs that I could see in it. I don't know if they are fertile or not. I went to pick one up because I thought they are probably all frozen but it was warm so I put it back. Is she going to sit on them again? Also, she isn't always sitting on them, she comes out when she hears me for water and food and will stay out there for a little bit. Would I be able to candle them or is she going to abandon them?

Sounds like she is broody and is taking a break each day to eat, drink, and stretch her wings, which is normal. Does she sit on the nest the rest of the time? If so, how long has she been sitting on it?

Sounds like she is broody and is taking a break each day to eat, drink, and stretch her wings, which is normal. Does she sit on the nest the rest of the time? If so, how long has she been sitting on it?
I don't know if she is sitting on it all the time. I'm pretty sure she is and I think she has been sitting on them for about a week.

If shes anything like a chicken, yes she will sit on them again. Birds hormones are so strong that when they get broody they will sit on golfballs, lemons, even smooth rocks. So she should go back to that nest as soon as you leave the area and she thinks its safe to go to it. But spooking her while shes on the nest can make her abandon it; so dont crowd her too much or poke at her a lot.

If shes anything like a chicken, yes she will sit on them again. Birds hormones are so strong that when they get broody they will sit on golfballs, lemons, even smooth rocks. So she should go back to that nest as soon as you leave the area and she thinks its safe to go to it. But spooking her while shes on the nest can make her abandon it; so dont crowd her too much or poke at her a lot.
Ok i am going to try tomorrow right now shes is sitting on them and i dont want to disturb her

Depends...what kind of duck? Pekin ducks tend to not be good mothers, had one get off her eggs and leave them for good after sitting for 3 weeks. Had to take eggs from my last pekin 5 years ago and finnish hatching out her eggs because she also lost intrest.i only had 1 sit all the way through before.

Depends...what kind of duck? Pekin ducks tend to not be good mothers, had one get off her eggs and leave them for good after sitting for 3 weeks. Had to take eggs from my last pekin 5 years ago and finnish hatching out her eggs because she also lost intrest.i only had 1 sit all the way through before.
she is a pekin should i wait and see what she does or should i just take the eggs now

she is a pekin should i wait and see what she does or should i just take the eggs now

I've got a pekin that is a fabulous mother, she sits probably two times each year. So it does vary from bird to bird. While pekins generally do not go broody, that doesn't meant that they all don't. I would leave them for now. You can have your incubator ready to go in case she abandons them, but for now I would leave them to her.

Back
Top Bottom